Low Volume Playing Speakers Keep going in Protection Mode

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 435
Just installed My Rainbow Geraniums after Trying to sell them for a while gave up and Installed them. On to the Problem

The Geraniums are 6.5 and they are seriously under performing. Sometimes I put my ear to the speaker to make sure they are playing and that Im not just listening to the rear fill very muddy sound unclear sound. Put in some low class co-axle pioneers and it blew them away! youd think the rainbows didnt have a tweeter

The classic mid bass snap that Rainbow is hailed great for is not present. With an ear to them at low volume the snaps sound very very far away. No where near the kick in the chest that was expected.

The SQ is not present I hear music but not so great clear music, kinda muddy very low volume sounding.

I try to turn it up and while I can hear them a bit better this way, The rear fill is outshining them that I got from best buy that was running off the jvc head unit. If it is left up high for too long then the speakers will go in protection mode and shut off while the rear fill keeps going even though they are playing louder and were actually tuned down halfway to give the front stage an edge.

The Rainbow Geraniums are ran off a PPI Art series 404 Bridged.
to sum the questions up

1. Why are these speakers 100 watt speakers going in protection mode when being thrown 100 watts each even tho they are playing like they are getting 10 watts each?

2.Why are they Playing so low with a 100 watts a piece ?

3. Where is the SQ and Mid Bass?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14392
Did you get my PM response?

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14393
Apparently it didn't go throuogh and I lost the entire draft.
anyway, need some info:
sub size
vehicle type
how it's all wired, what size wiring
what are you using for a head unit
what are you using for a crossover for the PPI
what are your crossover settings for both amps
where are all of the speakers mounted
how is the PPI amp set up? 2 channel bridged? 4 channels?
any rear speakers?

also, where do you live, by the way?

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Oh no I didnt get a response from you in PM, I checked it numerous too.
I didnt install it personally as I dont have the skillset or knowledge.
The wiring was some wire that the guy had
I was using an old jvc deck that he owned and gifted for the install
The PPI crossover is a Audio Control gifted for the install
only thing I know about the ppi 4 channel amp was bridged he felt no way the amp is putting out 50 by 4 even though I told him
not a clue what a speaker mount is
rear fill was gifted he got from best buy
the 15 is an avalanche rainbow 1000watt 1.5-2 cube box I think not even sure thats optimal but its what chad told me
and everything gifted was given back money refunded and install uninstalled do to a very disappointing experience he worked for car toys. another place here did 1 rainbow set but i dont believe them or trust them 1 install they did for me long time ago a tweeter got melted because they sold me too much power for speaker so Installers are dead to me here.
Jaguar 2000 stype is the car
im in richmond virginia glass
if you want to contact me heres my email
prosperityndnger@aol.com

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14396
it's possible the amp is damaged. you or I could test that using a DMM (multimeter) if you have one that does "true RMS" or AC voltage and have a test tone or white noise CD that can play a track with a sustained tone to get a constant output from the amp while checking the voltage across the speaker outputs.

Anyway, you're a few hours drive from me for sure.. it'd be an all day thing to head down to SC and back when I wa sdone, but we could definitely discuss it if you don't have any other option. Note it's been around 100-105degF here this past week though, and my garage is full of boxes so any work I do has to be done in the driveway, which is a brute during the afternoon. Just something to think about.

Anyway, yeah the first thing to do is narrow down the problem, which is done a lot more easily when you ahve a spare amp to use as a test mule, and a spare mp3 player or head unit to swap out. that sort of thing.. a multimeter helps, too.
I'd also like to see the settings on the amplifiers and on the ehad unit (crossover settings mainly)

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
im going to have the amp tested tomorrow.
hopefully with the speakers
they say can tell if its damaged then went too technical for me to know what hes was talking about with the tests then said you truely wont know until its installed. ok well we will see what they say,

it was 115 with the heat index i work outside its a pain. i dont care about the drive, ill make a stop at the beach or something afterwards to justify the drive. might as well meet the man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
Ok so i just got the speakers and the amp tested the amp was fine and so were the speakers and tweeter, the test wasnt as detailed but he said product not damaged.
If you want glass i can come close to end of august so the geat will be low.
The tester say he wont do the install because the amp is a relic and was only good for its time and claims his alpine amps priced at $180 are much better and that id get noise from the alt. He also says the setup will be on par with my hex ran off my eclipse amp but not better this is disapointing
So i wont mind driving

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14407
Go to someone who knows wtf he's talking about. That guy was only interested in selling you something. sounds like an asshat to me.
Anyway, I'm not sure how that'll look just yet. I'm supposed to go back up to MI around then for a wedding. Waiting to see if that'll pan out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us