Need some help choosing the right speakers...any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Bp_productions30

Post Number: 39
Hey I'm looking to upgrade my stock front stage speakers in my 2003 Pontiac Vibe. I'm not a newbie, not a professional but pretty well informed car audio guy. Not looking for anything crazy but something that has good clarity and good mids with some low end...my system will have a sub. Not sure what amp im going to use. Like looking to spend some where around $150 for a pair a 6.5 comps. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1125
Hey William, just as an FYI, your Pontiac Vibe has 6-3/4" Speakers in the Front Door and 5-1/4" Speakers in the Rear.

Also, by any chance do you plan on running these comps off of an Amplifier or just off your Deck? Most-to-all comps require them to be amplified to be able to push the Speaker to it's true potential. If your not planning on amplifying the Speakers, then I would suggest not looking into comps, but coaxial instead.

Let me know what you plan on doing and I'll post some suggestions for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Ah, nice. Thanks for the knowledge. I thought they were 6.5 all the away around. I do plan on running them of an amp. I will be doing an electrical upgrade too.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1126
Well, it could be very well possible that the Factory Speakers might be 6-1/2" Oversized Speakers. This means that the Speaker is 6-1/2", but it is designed to fit in a 6-3/4" Speaker Mount.

Ok, so we are getting somewhere. We know you have $150 to spend and that you are planning on doing a Big 3 Upgrade. I'll assume that you are also planning on installing a subwoofer as well in the near future?

Most 6-1/2" Speakers do not already come with an adaptor to fit into a 6-3/4" Mount, so here is one that you can purchase:

Metra 82-7500:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3322_Metra-82-7500.html

Here are some suggestions that you can look into within your $150 price range:

Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X1730P:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?category_id=29&sort_order=price_asc&m anufacturer_id=22

MB Quart PVL 216:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33014_MB-Quart-PVL-216.html

Hertz HSK 165:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HERTZ-ENERGY-HSK-165-6-5-SPEAKER-COMPONENT-SYSTEM-/11070 1961718?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item19c659e1f6

Rainbow SLX 265 ($209.99):
http://cgi.ebay.com/SLX-265-RAINBOW-6-5-2-WAY-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-NEW-CLEAN-/1206 03842562?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item1c148c9802

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Well, I thank you much for the suggestions. I was looking at Re Audio and CDT's. I like the rainbows a lot...pushing ,my budget a bit but would be completely worth it. I also like the hertz. Not to much of a fan of kenwood or MB quart even though they do make quality stuff.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1129
Yea, Rainbow Speakers are great. I would suggest to save an extra $50 to grab em', but if that's not an option then the Hertz Speaker is the way to go (IMO).

Personally, I don't always look at Kenwood, but over the past few years, the quality in their products have improved greatly making it a good choice for an extry level Speaker.

MB Quart has always been that, not the best but, not the worst when it comes to Speakers. Once again, always a good choice for entry level Speakers.

I have never personally heard Speakers from RE Audio or CDT, so I really can't comment on how they perform.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14338
The problem with Rainbow in the US is finding a reliable dealer. Rainbow keeps changing distributors, and when they drop one, all of the retailers who used them, drop Rainbow and all support for the products. It's quite a plague for such a high end product.

Kenwood I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

CDT is excellent. So is DLS, Focal's high end gear, DynAudio, and Morel.

MB Quart built it's name when it was still independently owned in the early 1990s. It was shortly thereafter bought out by, if memory serves, Rockford Fosgate, and wend downhill from there, to where it sits now. A middle of the road product.

If you want affordable, with good durability and sound quality, Alpine Type R components are also quite good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
I think i'm going to go with cdt CL-61A. I'd like to go with a zapco amp. I'm still going to do some reseach and second suggestions or opinions are welcome

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14348
Anyway if you want your front stage to sound better than stock, definitely put an amplifier on those components you choose.
The amp will make as big a difference to the front stage as your choice of speakers in my opinion. You can't get decent low end, or clarity from the mids and highs without adequate power and ample reserve, which no head unit could ever offer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us