In need of some help, Glass, Jon anybody?

Bronze Member
Username: Greedy

Post Number: 18
I recently install a kicker 10" sub in my brother's car, I used the RF diagram and I think now the sub is running at 2 ohms. But the when I turn up the sound, I keep getting a popping at high volumes. I'm currently running the sub on an old school 300 watt Alpine amp mono, the setting on it is around 80 hz and the gain set at a bit abovc norm. So if anyone can help I thank you in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Skinn

Post Number: 16
Is the sub bottoming out? What size fuse is in the amp and what size power and ground are you using? Is the sub a kicker comp vr or just the regular comp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4006
turn the gain down.
there is no "norm" for input sensitivity.
it needs to be set to match the input line voltage.
when it's too high, you overdrive the input stage of the amp and get distortion..

and popping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
On this amp the gain meter is rated from min, norm and max, so I can't really tell how high or low the sub is currently running at. the amp is running with two 20 fuses and the sub is a regular comp.

Anonymous

Are you sure the amp can handle a 2 ohm load?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4023
yeah, if the amp couldn't, it'd go into protect mode.

turn the gain setting to "min" and see if it helps.
you may have a head with 4V preouts, and "min" is probably 4V on an Alpine, which is the most line voltage the amp was designed to accept.

let me know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I took the advices and set the gain meter at min. and the sub end up barely moving. So i am going to wire the sub back to 4 ohms and see if that would help th sq's. I will keep you updated, thanks for all the helpful advices, glasswolf, skinn, and the anonymous guy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us