Just signed up, easy question, forgive me

Username: Fostytou

Dekalb, Il

Post Number: 1
I feel pretty well learned on our subject, but i was surprised to come across a post that seemed to say that if you over-RMS your sub you might blow it. I could see it shortening the life or killing it if you worked it there.... but
I have a JBL GTO601.1 and an infinity perfect 12.1d . I was going to wire it up at 2 ohms after i broke it in but that would put me at about 600rms (though about 850 peak) and the sub handles a max power of 1400W with 350RMS. I want my music to sound good, but i want to bump every now and then also..... am I going to run into a problem?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 766
Peak power is only during very short bursts, never go by it as it is very rarely attained. You'll be pushing it with that subwoofer, especially 250 watts past the RMS rating, you'll overdrive the suspension and possibly overheat the voice coils if you're not careful. You could run it, but you have to be very conservative with it. You would have been better off running two 4 ohm subs or a single 4 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 195
You will definitely be at the high side of tolerances, although as Jon said you're still technically safe.

Be responsible with it for a while, listening carefully for any stress at medium-high volumes. At any hint of a clipped signal, TURN IT DOWN. You will be playing at almost full music power when the volume is half-way up on your deck.

-Matt

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4004
giving 600wRMS to a sub rated for 350wRMS is going to fry the coils of the sub.

What you need to remember is that the "power handling" of a sub is exactly that. It's a measurement in watts of how much heat teh voice coils can handle without damage. It's a thermal rating. When you send more power to the speaker than it's rated to handle, the voice coil(s) will overheat and usually melt, or unravel and come apart.
Then the cone freezes up and possibly you get a dead short across teh coils when the insulation melts off of the thin copper wire wrap which gives a dead shrot to the amplifier, and you smoke the amp as well.

also understand that just because a sub is rated to accept up to 1600wRMS, the sub doesn't need that much power to reach it's peak output and full Xmech. The sub very well may reach full output with as little as 500 watts.
You don't need to overpower the sub to get your desired performance. You need the right subs and amp to begin with. If you want more bass, get another sub.

anonymousorionfan
Unregistered guest
I have 2 old school orion subs 500w rms/1000w max. I am about to get an orion 2500d monoblock amp. The amp pushes 1 x 1200 @ 4ohms which would give each sub 600watts. Would this harm the subs or is there anyway I can lower the wattage even more? Thanks in advance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us