What Should I Do?

Username: Thecigaretteman

Post Number: 3
Well i posted this in another thread but nobody replied,i have a sony xplod amp,760 watts,im runnin 2 pioneer subs,450 watts each,i have had this setup for about 2 years now and i have had only a few problems,but none that i couldnt fix myself.

My big problem is that when i turn up my volume on my stereo my subs cut out and a light on my amp says "over current",then when i searched for the description it said "you are driving too low of an impedance load or the speaker leads are shorted directly",im not too smart when it comes to these things so i have no idea what that means.

A couple people told me that my amp is probably just about dead,i have the money to get a new amp and its well overdue,i just hope that the problem will go away with getting a new amp,i want to get this amp ive had my eye on,its a rockford fosgate 900 watt punch,would this be a good amp for my subs? I dont know much about them,they are pioneer 450watt IMPP,if i get the 900 watt amp will it send 450 watts to each? and i also want to know if i should be getting a mono or multi channel amp,i love loud music but dont know too much of this stuff,if anybody could help me with any of my problems i would apreciate it,thank you for your time.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 57
Do you know the model number for your subs? Actually on second thought, just answer my questions.

+Are they single or dual voice coils? (is there 2 or 4 places to put speaker wire on the sub, not the box)
+Do you know the impedance on the subs? (4 ohms most likely.)
+450 is the RMS power on each sub, correct?
+Why the phuc would you buy sony xplod anything? (just a side note...sony blows, man.) You may be able to salvage the amp though. Not that it really needs to be, but whateva.

Post Number: 4
1.Yes they are dual coils
2.I dont know the independence
3.Im not too sure,i just know that they are 450 watts
4.I Bought sony because i was new (and still sumb) to the car stereo scene,and i would rather just buy the new amp,but i dont know what to get or if its even gonna get rid of the problem,i wish i could tell you more info,but it seems im just too dumb for this stuff.

Post Number: 5
1.Yes they are dual coils
2.I dont know the independence
3.Im not too sure,i just know that they are 450 watts
4.I Bought sony because i was new (and still dumb) to the car stereo scene,and i would rather just buy the new amp,but i dont know what to get or if its even gonna get rid of the problem,i wish i could tell you more info,but it seems im just too dumb for this stuff.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 60
low impedance means you probably have the subs wired at 1 ohm, and your amp isn't 1 ohm stable.

Impedance, not independance. It means resistance basically.

Well 450 max power and 450 RMS power is alot different. If they are 450 max power, then you for sure don't want to put 450RMS to them.

I meant no offense by what I said. I am not calling you dumb by any means. Haha, ask Glass--I'm not the brightest crayon either.

You may not need a new amp, although if you've just got extra money laying around, may as well replace that sony. Go for something other than Rockford, though. Their new stuff isn't so hot so I hear. MTX makes nice amps ^_^.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 410
Get that Rockford (you have a good eye) that amp is really good, you will be happy.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 62
I'm just gonna stop trying to help people.

I read over and over that Rockford's new stuff sucks the royal ding-dong (you can't say |Denis?), then people reccomend it.

I think I'll just stick to reading from now on.

Post Number: 6
I found one of the boxes they came in,the max music power is 450 watts,does that mean i should not get a 900 watt amp? My friend has an 800 watt amp and two 400 watt max subs and it sounds great,anyway they are impedance 4,i recently changed boxes cuzz they were in an inclosed one that sounded like gargage,did i hook up somethin wrong inside the boxes? Does impedance 4 require me to hook up 2 different speaker cables? Sorry for sounding stupid but i just want this done and over with so i can get back to enjoying my long trips to work.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 411
Audiophile, Rockford stuff (ecept lightinging audio) doesnt suck the ding dong. It is good quality stuff. People on this forum dont think that is is sh*t stuff but they think that it is nothing to put a crown over. People here prefer Kicker (subs amps), MTX (amps) and JBL (amps) and JL everything. Personnaly i think RF has come a long way in the technology of there AMPs, but these guys dont think so or they do but just shrug it off. Rockford is good stuff but not the best. People by RF stuff because it lasts, people by JL well thats pretty obvious why!

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 315
Nick I know what subs you have. The RMS is 125 watts. You will need a amp that pushes about 250 watts RMS. Find an amp you like and post it back on here and we will give you opinions on it and help you get going. Also look at amps that are 1ohm stable are you can get a 2 channel that pushes 125x2 @ 2ohms. Then you will wire one sub to each channel of the amp. Best of luck to ya.

Post Number: 7
Ok,ive searched and searched for an amp that fits the requirements,but im getting confused and lost in the world of car audio,i was wondering if anybody could recomend an amp for me.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 318
Here ya go Nick this one will get you going. Like I said wire ONE sub to each channel. Since your subs are DVC 4ohm you will get a 2ohm load to each channel. Heres you a diagram to help you wire the subs.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2 USE OPTION #1

Heres the amp.
http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_37&products_id=1404

Good Luck

Post Number: 8
Thank you everybody for your help.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 68
Well, thanks Pat. *sighs* Oh well. I've always liked RF stuff myself, but I'm a budget kinda guy, so...I almost bought a punch stage3 instead of my Kappa (both 12's). I think I may still. going for a 1 sub setup-any suggestions?

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 71
Hmm...that sounded like I have 2 12" kappas. What I meant was the RFP(I looked at) and the Kappa(I bought) are both 12's.

Silver Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 189
Elemental Designs 13 0v.2. Much better than RF (the ding-dong suckers) and still a budget sub.

-Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us