What's wrong with my amp? <Scenario>

Bronze Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 65
Okay, I got my Kicker KX 800.2 and I was gonna see if it works cuz it's a refurb. I hook it up and I get power to it and everything but this is what happens. It turns on right away, the protection light stays on until the cd player starts playing the song. Then it shuts off and there is never any "Power" light. However, the top light stays lit...the one that says "Kx 800.2"

So, my friend comes over and we put it in his with his kit and sub and everything and it's fine and it puts sound to the woofer.

So now, we take his woofer and put the amp back in my car, and the same thing with the lights happen, but there is still no sound. Both of our cars put power to it. But his makes sound and mine doesn't. We used HIS speaker wire, so the ONLY thing different is our RCA cables.

Is that what's wrong? Are the RCA cables not giving signal? Would that mean the "Power" light would not turn on?

Please help. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Smokeit

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 81
power light is going to come from the battery. if the rca's are pinched or no good they may cause thumping or no sound at all. get another pair of rcas and run them straight accross from the hu to the amp and see if that changes anything.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 291
Or it could be that you have a weak charging system and its not supplying the amp enough voltage causing it to shut off but leaving the light on on top of the amp since it has enough power to keep the lihgt on. Have your electrical system checked out.

Username: Chasing_shadows

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 9
What about the system remote wire?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3954
you probably either have it wired for too low of a load in your car, your ground point is bad, or the remote trigger isn't wired properly or working.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Well, the remote wire didn't work at first, but we put it to the power antenna so now it does. What do you mean by too low of a load in your car.

How many volts does this amp need to run?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Also, I did get new RCAS and ran it straight across, that wasn't it. What do I need to check on my electrical system?

Silver Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 115
impedance load is basically the resistance that the speakers have on the current. For instance, you can get 4 or 2 ohm subs? What subs and amp do you have... I can tell you how to wire it so its proper. I'm not sure how much you know in the matter, but What Glass is saying is that you might have accidentally wired them at 2 or 1 ohm load, and your amp isn't rated to handle a 2 or 1 ohm load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
It's a Kicker KX 800.2. Right now I have a VERY OLD and JUNKY 4 ohm woofer. I have it wired in bridged mode. My amp should put out 800 watts at 4 ohms. Instead, I get NO SOUND at all. The Protect button SHOULD fade off and the "Power" button SHOULD turn on, but it doesn't.

What size alt would I have to have for this amp?

Basically, how many volts/amps or whatever does this amp need to put out sound?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3964
the amp needs 12VDC, and about ~95A of current at full output being a class AB amp.

check that sub. if the voice coil is damaged, it will show close to zero resistance with a DC voltmeter.
if it's ok, it'll show about 3.2 ohms.
if the coil is fried, it'll look like a dead short to the amplifier, putting the amp inot thermal protection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Haha, sorry guys. Seems to be my dads fault with the fuseblock. Well, sorta. There was just not a good connection with the fuse, so everything just STOPPED. It works now, so Im waiting for my subs and box now:-) Then I'll be bumpin'
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us