How hot should my amp get?

Username: Nando17

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 9
So i posted here a couple times in december, before i got my car to start planning my system. Anyway after a few months breaking in my car and its stock Rockford system (lancer) i decided to get a RF P2 loaded box, with a Prime r500.1 amp this past weekend. But now I noticed that my amp which is mounted on the back of my rear seat (that I usually put down) gets REALLY hot after just 5 minutes of playing decently loud music. Its hot enough to only keep your hand on for about 5 seconds. Is this normal?

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1027
Hello Alex, the Rockford Fosgate PRIME R500.1 is a very high quality amplifier and should never get to the point of being that hott.

I would suggest turning down all of your settings on the amplifier itself and check the fuses.

Also, im not sure if the P2's you have are the DVC 2Ohm or DVC 4Ohm version, but make sure you do have the subwoofer wired correctly to the amplifier. The Prime R500.1 is only rated to run at 4Ohm and 2Ohm. If you have the DVC 2Ohm version and your wiring is in Parallel, that could be your problem right there since that would create a 1Ohm Load.

If the subwoofers are wired correctly to the amplifier, the settings are turned all the way down and the fuses are fine, then I would suggest seeing if there is any warranty and attempt to swap it for a new amplifier.

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 10
Yeah thats what i thought, that it should get hot but not too bad. I got the whole setup professionally installed so i trusted they did it right, and they also told me that the gain was turned down enough to not blow the sub during the break-in period, so i could go back in a few weeks to have it turned up/ make sure everything was working correctly. However after two days i went back and showed them the amp getting really hot and they checked the wiring said it was ok and said maybe the heat is normal, but i just dont think that the amp should be this hot.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1033
Sure, amplifiers can get warm, but not to the point where you cannot keep your hand on top of it. If the dealer that installed your system is not going to help, then I would suggest called Rockford Fosgates support line and see what they have to say about it. Here is there number below:

Phone: (480) 967-3565
Fax: (480) 967-8132
Toll-Free: 1 -800-669-9899

Business Hours:
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 5:00 pm

Or you can submit a message to them by e-mail here:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/ask.php

If they can confirm that the amplifier is suppose to perform while being that hot, then I would highly suggest making sure the amplifier is not located in a spot where it could become a fire hazard or install some fans to get some airflow moving to dispense heat away from the amplifier.

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 11
Thats a good idea thanks for all the info man. Im going to call during the week, and i'll most likely end up trying to install some kind of computer fan until i can find out whats wrong or maybe get a new amp.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1037
Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us