Need A New Head Unit

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 209
Hey all,
I'm looking for a new HU for my car. Running an Alpine MRV-F345 to power a SSA DCON and a cheap set of Planet Audio 6.5"s in the doors. Running the Rear 6x9's off the HU. The JVC that came with the car lacks a usb port, and high pass filter. It also only has one set of pre-amp outs.

I'd like to find a HU with at least 2 sets of pre outs, USB, HPF, and LPF. Other than those features, I want something that does not get a bad glare when the sun hits it and some level of EQ that I can set. I'd also like to spend no more than needed.

I'm so far out of the loup with current Head Units that I don't even know where to start looking.

So... with that in mind, what do you guys reccomend.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1019
I feel you on the whole out of the loop with new Decks. A few years back, Pioneer used to be the Top Fav in my books. Now-a-days though, it looks like they just lost it. I don't know what happened to their Premier Series, and all their newer stuff feels really cheap.

I was actually out Deck hunting last month, and I must say that Kenwood, in my opinion, has really improved over the years. The Deck I picked up was the Kenwood KDC-BT948HD.

It's got 3-Pairs of RCA outputs, and has so many EQ settings that it literally took over 30 minutes to adjust my settings. It also has HD Radio and has over 100 preset colors to choose from. Below is a link of my Deck in the sunlight:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/685/2069/39211034014_medium.jpg

As you can see, it is still very clear and readable. In it's price range of $300.00, it's really the best Deck I have seen and used within the past 2 years.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 54
You are really seeking for a high end HU by the specs you mention, the hardest part is the display since only a high quality display can be seen clearly under sunlight.The deck you are looking for is the Alpine CDA-117 it meets all you needs at $250 or less, the displayed data can be seen from anywhere and under sunlight. Sorry you just cant have all those features for cheap. If you can live with two parametric tone controls id recommend the CDA-9886 which is older but excellent sounding, same great display. If you can find one it will be for less than $200, if you can do without the special display and the HPF then you can get the Pioneer DEH-4300UB for as low low! as $100 or so but still great (24-bit) sounding HU with 2 pre-outs.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 210
I appreciate the suggestions guys. I will say the HPF and at least 2 sets of pre outs are a must, and I do want a USB port. I really am after a high end unit, but I hate to spend the money. Don't we all.. haha. I haven't seen a cheep(er) HU that didn't have a glare when the sun hits it, but some are far worse than others. If we focus less on the display and more on keeping the price down, what other options are there? I hate to thow a limit on the budget, but as a college student, I can't afford to waste money, nor can I afford to buy a HU that isn't up to my standards.

I've checked out all the HU's in town, being in a small town that didn't take long but most of them were junk, or pretty expensive for average quality.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1029
Here are a few more options that are cheaper than the Kenwood I suggested:

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22379_Pioneer-DEH-P7200HD.html

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X695:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33488_Kenwood-eXcelon-KDC-X695.html

Clarion CZ501:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_35579_Clarion-CZ501.html

Alpine CDE-125BT:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33179_Alpine-CDE-125BT.html

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 211
I'm liking the Pioneer and Kenwood. I was looking at some Kenwood eXcelon modles earlier. I think i might go that route. Main difference I see is a 3 band eq with the kenwood vs 5 band with that Pioneer. I've never had 5 band, is it worth it?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1030
Between those 2 specific models, I'd go with the Pioneer. Not only because it has better EQ settings for you to adjust, but it will have less glare than the Kenwood.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 55
Still with a better than average display readability 3 preouts, adjustable frequency HPF, 2 band parametric EQ, USB. This is as close as you can get to a High end deck without the price.

Alpine CDA-105 for $139 or maybe less.

Alpine arguably makes the most reliable HUs out there. Great sounding. None of their head units look cheap, not even the bottom of the line model.

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio4life

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 12
I know that im not the smartest person in the world when it comes to hu, but eclipse decks by far have the best sound quality ive heard in a long time, the cd3000 is less than 200 bucks with 5 volt preouts front, rear ,and sub rcas, and the cd5000 300 bucks has 8 volt preouts, means u dont need to turn gain up on amps, much cleaner and louder music.

But no usb plug in front, have to use aux cable that can be plugged in in back of deck.

but from whats on list the kenwood doesn't look bad, in my opionion an older model deck is what ur looking for to keep cost down.

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 13
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5433-cd5100-eclipse-mp3wmacd-receiver-w-usb-input-bu ilt-in-area-shot-navigation.aspx

winner winner chicken dinner

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1031
The eclpise Deck above is pretty nice, but I believe that is a bit out of his price range eddie.

Bronze Member

Clovis, CA USA

Post Number: 14
i still recomend an eclipse deck if you can find one in your budget, otherwise get a good used pioneer premier

Username: Niloy

California, United States Bangladesh

Post Number: 7
There are some of the considerations that you must give importance before buy any headunit. However, check out this article if you want to know those considerations and get best headunit which perfect for you.
http://carmusiclab.com/best-head-unit/

Username: Bigjd

Toledo, Oh

Post Number: 1
How much do a 617kvt DVD unit cost
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums