Im back and need more Amp help

Bronze Member
Username: Kmillz2525

Post Number: 12
I still have 2 pioneer premier 10 inch dual4ohm subs that need 800rms EACH. And still am unsure on what amp to buy. Someone suggested the Audioque AQ2200D. But I looked around and found this Power Acoustik D1-2000D so anyone wanna give me an honest opinion of which one to go with? I know the Power acoustic under powers just a tad but I don't plan on pushing my subs or competing so I figure it would do fine

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1008
Hey millz, if I remember correctly from the last time you posted, I believe the subwoofers you have are the Pioneer TS-W2502D4. Just like you stated above, these subwoofers are rated for 800 Watts RMS each and from what I hear, it looks like they may even be able to handle a little more than that.

Overall, you are looking for an amplifier that can dish out 1600 Watts RMS at a 1Ohm Load. The Power Acoustik D1-2000D that you mentioned only puts out 1200 Watts RMS at 1Ohm. Even if those numbers are actually correct, you are still underpowering your subwoofers. Now you can still run an amplifier like that, but having an amplifier run at 100% all of the time may actually shorten the life span of the amplifier.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one who recommened the AQ2200D and I do still recommend it but, if you are looking for a cheaper amplifier, you can look into the Hifonics HFi2000D:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22702_Hifonics-HFi2000D.html

It's about half the cost, but there have been reports regarding this amplifier breaking within a year of use. But then again, you never know if those people knew what they were doing when installing it...

The Hifonics HFi2000D says it is rated for 2000 Watts RMS at 1Ohm, but I highly doubt that is what it really puts out. I would say it probably puts out more around 1600 Watts RMS, which is exactly what your looking for.

Once again, I highly recommend the AQ2200D. It may be more expensive, but the quality and reliability will last a lot longer than a Hifonics amplifier could ever offer. Remember, you get what you pay for. There's a reason why some products are a lot cheaper than others.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks and it probably was you. Ok I don't get how this works exactly. Now does an amp draw the same power all the time? Or does it draw more when you push them harder like turn up the volume or deeper base whatever? Cause I know these subs will straight up get loud but I plan on just using them for regular listening nothing to hard. So do I really need to fully power them?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1009
There are a few things that will increase power output on an amplifer. A good example would be like you stated above by adjusting the volume. The higher the volume, the more voltage your amplifier is going to draw.

Also, regardless of what amplifier you choose, I highly recommend adjusting the gain to prevent any damage to either the amplifier or the subwoofers. If you end up purchasing an amplifier that exceeds 1600 Watts RMS, you will be wanting to lower your gain. If you end up with an amplifier that puts out less than 1600 Watts RMS, then you may find yourself adjusting the gain around 1/4th to 1/3rd, or until the point where it is not being distorted.

Now everyone is going to have a different view on how much power should be sent to each subwoofer, but in my opinion, I always aim to give them exactly what they are rated for, or have an extra 100-500 Watts to spare so I can lower my gain or supply the extra power if it can handle it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well ok that helps a lot. Now I'm more about qaulity than loudness and I get that I should get the exact power or a little more but what do you think if I were to underpower them a with the Amp I stated? I mean it seems to be a very clean solid amp. I mean I know I'm never even gonna push these close to there limit because it would be crazy loud from what I hear about these subs. I keep looking and its hard to find a good amp to power these. I looked at the one you suggested and the THD and Signal to noise are both aren't quite where I want them but I know its a qaulity amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Basically so just what do you think will happen if I do use this sub? Will it hurt anything? Will the amp fry? I mean if I go with an amp with more power will it last longer for sure? I'm still just trying to learn more and more.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1010
Haha, well you can most certainly use that amplifier. The main point I was trying to get across, is that:

1. You will be underpower each one of your subwoofers by AT LEAST 200 Watts RMS a peice (400 Watts RMS Total).

2. Because the Subwoofers are not being fully powered, there is a chance that you will be placing more stress on the Power Acoustik D1-2000D, causing it to shorten it's life span and eventually fail.

Obviously, no one here can force you to purchase a specific product. If you do decide to purchase an amplifier that will end up underpowering your Subwoofers, just make sure everything is wiring correctly with solid connections and tuned accordingly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok well thank you and ill probably look into something with more power. Ok another question I have is how am I gonna wire all this down to a mono block? I know I take the red terminals on one sub and wire them into one wire but w0is there a connector of some sort that takes 2 wires on one side and leaves with one wire on the other?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well I would like to thank you for pushing me to keep looking because I found the same brand amp with the same THD signal to noise but puts out 1700rms. Here's the link tell me what your honest opinion of it is. I didn't come here to be babied and choose my own amp so I would love to here what you think. http://www.SonicElectronix.com/item_37803_Power-Acoustik-D1-3000D.html also what is dampening factor? And thanks for really helping me along through alll of this

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1012
Well, I could simply explain on how you would need to wire it all together, but instead I will provide you with a calculator so you can see a visual instead

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

As far as the Power Acoustik D!-3000D that you listed above, I would say that is a much better choice over the D1-2000D. The only thing that I am concerned about, is both of these amplifiers are not CEA-2006 Compliant, which means that the specs that you see listed, may not actually be accurate.

Because of this, that THD and SNR that you are looking for may not be correct. The same applies for the RMS Rating. It may actually only supply anywhere from 1000-1500 Watts RMS at 1Ohm. These amplifiers may actually be worse than the AQ2200D that I mentioned above in terms of the THD and SNR. There's a reason why I mentioned above that "you get what you pay for".

Once again, you can most certainly look into purchasing this amplifier, but it may not work out the way you originally wanted.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1013
Also, regarding "Damping Factor", here is a link to where you can learn all about it:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/damping-factor-effects -on-system-response

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Yeah I kinda had that feeling lol. And I didn't mean calculating or how to wire I get all that. I mean like when I'm physically taking the two wires from say the posative terminals from the sub I have to wire them together into one wire to connect to the amp and I was just wondering how I would make 2 wires into one simply? Ill look for something certified and see what I can come up with but I might just go with your option it seems very solid. Came up with this real quick http://www.SonicElectronix.com/item_27293_RE-Audio-VLX-2DE.html give me your thoughts please

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hey something else I thought id run by you. What do you think about using 2 amps so one for each sub? And if you like that idea how would I run them to my battery? Like would I run 2 amp kits or what? Let me know what you think cause I'm open to all options and it seems like the more power an amp puts out the worse the THD and Signal to noise get and the ones that do have good THD are a bit out of my price range like 700 or more

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1018
Well, you can either wire the two Subwoofers together like in the link I posted above or, you could run 2 positive wires and 2 negative wires (one each per subwoofer) and have them all meet into the positive and negative slot on the amplifier (positive to positive & negative to negative).

Regarding the RE Audio VLX 2DE amplifier that you posted, it is very true to it's numbers and it may even put out more than it's rated for. However, it's out of stock on sonicelectronix...

To be honest millz, I have already done the research into seeing if two amplifiers would be better in your case. After looking around, it turns out you would be spending more money, and running more wires than needed. Lets just stick with one amplifier.

Also, just for your information, if you were to use two or more amplifiers to keep things simple, yes, you would need an amplifier wiring kit for each amplifier. There are other ways, but im not going to get into it unless you really want me to.

Yes, that is correct. In order to accomplish better specs, better quality parts are needed which will in fact make things much more expensive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ok well we can sctap the 2 amp idea then. And ok ill go look back at the diagram I was on my phone so it was a pain at the time. And yeah I noticed it was out but I found another place it was cheaper and in stock so that wouldn't be a problem it was like 388 there. I use Sonic more to find stuff because it generally runs a little high but its easy to use. Alright well ill probably get down to doing more searching then come back and talk to you some more thank you. Oh and one quick question on my previous post you said I might look into running 0 gauge cable through my car? What does that mean like battery cables?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1022
Amplifier power cables comes in a variety of different sizes. They go by 0, 0/1, 2, 4, 8, 10 and 12 Gauge. 0 is the thickest while 12 is the thinnest.The best way to determine what size you need is typically judged by how many Watts RMS you will be running. For you, 4 Gauge should be fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Oh ok well you7 suggested upgrading my cars electrical system and something about big 3 so I thought id follow up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26139_Rockford-Fosgate-T1500-1bdCP-2010-Mode l.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle. What do you think about this ojne? If you could just rank like a top 5 for methat would help a lot too. Thanks fr being so patient

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1023
The Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP amplifier is a great amplifier. If you can afford to spend the extra money; I'd say go for it.

As far as performing the Big 3 Upgrade, yes, you will most likely have to look into upgrading you alt, wires, and possibly your battery. If you want to learn more about the Big 3, you can use this link here:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Ok I want to run 2 last amps by you and then ill just have to make the choice. If you could just rank them from 1 to 5 on how good you feel the ones we've talked about are based on qaulity and or price per what you get from it. I know these last 2 are a slight underpower BUT they could be slighty underated from what I can tell so it may be just right. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26278_Alpine-PDX-M12.html. and http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_30078_MB-Quart-Q1.1500D.html which I like more then pretty much anything else we've looked at but give me your thoughts.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1024
1. Audioque AQ2200D
2. RE Audio VLX 2DE
3. Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP
4. Alpine PDX-M12 (ran in Series/Parallel for a 4Ohm Load)
5. MB Quart Q1.1500D

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thanks for all your help ill be sure to come back if I need anything else

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Hey I've heard good things about US amps so what do you think about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/300568010551

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1026
One of my buddys used to have one of those amplifiers. It worked out pretty well and didn't give him too many issues.

You obviously have quite a bit of a selection here to choose from. I think you should stick with what we have here and pick one of these. Anymore amplifiers you find and the list will be too large to choose from, lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Ok I've been looking for the AQ2200D EVERYWHERE and other then there website which wants me to pay like 30 dollars shipping plus the already pricey cost of the amp I can't find it anywhere else. So do you know anywhere I could get one? Or do you have one for sale?

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1051
Nah, I personally don't have one for sale. The best place to purchase one is right on the main website of Audioque:

http://www.audioque.com/AQ2200D-Amplifier_p_31.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us