Humming noise from speakers

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 278
I just hooked up a JL G4500 for my door speakers in my car, and when nothings playing, i get a high pitched whine from my speakers. it gets higher pitched as RPM's go up. its annoying the living hell out of me. can anyone tell me whats causing this or how to get rid of it?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 998
What your hearing is the alternator itself. The higher the rpm's rev, the louder the noise is and vise versa.

Are these factroy speakers? Or are the aftermarket speakers?

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 279
Yeah I figured it had something to do with the alternator. I had the same problem with my other amp from running cheap RCAs right up against 1/0 power wire.

Right now i only have the amp hooked up to my 6x9's in the rear as im waiting on hardware for the front doors. but theyre aftermarket

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1000
That is actually what I was going to bring up later on but, since you mentioned it now, lets talk about it. If you have your RCA's running along side your Power Cable regardless if it's top notch or not, you may experience that humming noise.

I would suggest re-wiring the RCA cable on the opposite side of the vehicle. If you have already done this, I would make sure that all you cables are secure and nothing is exposed/cut/damaged.

If it's still happening, and you have an extra pair of RCA Cables, go ahead and swap em' out. See if it helps. If none of this helps, let me know. There are a few extra things you might be able to do.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 280
well the problem with my subs is fixed for the most part. i invested in some nice RCAs from knu. but the problem im having now is with my front stage amp. But im pretty sure its the ground. ive got it grounded to one of the drivers seat mounting studs.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1032
Hey Will, did fixing the issue with the ground help your situation?

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 281
nope :/ i grounded it straight to the floor of the car and it hums just the same as it did when it was grounded to the seat mounting post

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1052
Do you still have the RCA's running along side of the Power Cable?

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 282
they dont run along side of the power cable though. the rca's come down out of the bottom of the dash and under the carpet to the other side of the amp. the power cable comes out of the firewall on the far drivers side, runs along the kick panel under the carpet and hooks into the back side of the amp, opposite of the rca's. they cross in 1 spot.

Heres the link to the best picture I have:

http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee446/WIll_French/?action=view&current=SAM_0 346-1.jpg

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1055
Well, there is only 2 things that I can consider at this point. Either:

A: Make sure that your Negative Cable is Attached to the Bare Metal of the Chassis of your vehicle. If there is any paint or rust, sand it down until it's smooth and clean.

B: Purchase a Noise Filter (ex: Monster Cable MPC ISM 201XLN):
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8179_Monster-Cable-MPC-ISM-201XLN.html

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 283
found out why i had alternator whine! the power wire crossing my RCA's for the 4 channel wasnt doin it. It was because i have my cheap RCA's running right along my 1/0 run for my subs. but because of the low pass on the head unt and the amp. its getting filtered out on the subs. but i guess it was feeding back in the head unit and sending the buzzing to my 4 channel. I got a cheap noise filter from sonic electrix, to hook into my 4 channel RCA's but i found out when i disconnect the RCA's to my subs, the whine stops. so i put the filter in those RCA's since it was a lot easier, and no more whine!

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1076
Glad to see you got it fixed. I had a feeling it was the RCA's.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 284
i thought it was a bad ground at first. so i regrounded it and it did nothing. so then i thought it was the rcas. just turned out to be the other set of rcas. but that stupid noise filter made my bass quiet. so i now have to get some couplers from radio shack so i can hook them into my 4 channel rca's because the input is male and output is female. and i need the opposite

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1080
Well, if it's the RCA's for the other amplifier and the noise filter reduced the Bass, then why not try to remove the noise filter and replace the RCA's to better quality ones?

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 285
yeah im gunna try something like that. i think first im gonna just run the rcas on the opposite side. that should do it. if not then ill invest in a nice set. haha these were only like 5 bucks from knukonceptz

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1088
You get what you pay for, lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us