Old school fosgate install

Username: Nigro3

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I have a oldschool rockfordfosgate 75hd mosfet i have it hooked up straight to my battery and grounded on my battery, the guy i bought my amp from said to use a 15 amp fuse on the positive line so i did also it has fuses on the speaker wires they are 5 amps. i am using 12 gage wire for power and 18 gage wire for my speakers the speakers are plye 12" inches the are 300 rms,,, the fosgate amp is running in mono mode... it sounds amazing but i keep on blowing fuses mostly the positvie line fuse i had a 15 amp but i switched to a 20 amp still blowing it any sujestions ,,,, also i am not using a cross over rite now could this have anything to do with it or any sujestions on what to do ! thanksss mattt

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 311
Dude first you need to fix that GROUND it DOES NOT go to the battery. Your ground wire doesn't need to be over 24 inches. And you fuse holder that goes on the positive wire needs to be NO MORE then 12 inches for the battery. Also what size fuse(s) are in the amp?? I don't know why you have fuses on your speaker wire that NEEDS to be taking off.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 388
Jay J is absolutly right. The grounding on a battery doesnt work the same for car audio (i dont know why- Glasswolf or Johnathan may be able to tell me). You kept blowing fuses because in reality your amp wasnt really being grounded.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 18
Also, using a bigger fuse never hurts. Use too small of a fuse-you risk damage. Use too big of a fuse, it may not blow when it should.

I usually use 30's for all my +wire fuses.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3904
egads
ok first, you need at least 8 gauge wire for power and ground.
then you need to figure out how much power that amp is putting out, add another 40% to that, then divide by 12, and get your fuse rating that way.

ground point should be within 24" of the amp to bare sanded metal for a solid chassis ground.

you may also want to get rid of those cheap subs and get something a little better for such a good amp.

lastly, you'll want to run a low-pass filter on that amp, either from the head unit, or in-line RCA type, or whatever to cross it over at about 80Hz.
it'll sound ten times better that way.
never run full range signal to subs. it sounds like buttkiss.

Post Number: 2
sorry bout that wrong info, my amp was grounded to the chasiy first but not well.... ill do whay u all said what kinda speakers do u sujest i have been offerd 2 new planet audio 10s for 300 cnd, with a box think those would be better or do u sujeest anything else

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3913
planet audio is a subsidiary of BOSS.
Not a great brand either.

I suppose it's a matter of what you're willing to spend on subs, considering you're using a $600 amplifier.

Post Number: 4
got the amp brand new for 100 bucks ! lol from my boss just tell me the subs that will sound nice!!! also i had the pyles hooked up again today but i re wired everything my ground is the chasiy now wires less then 24 inches and im using 2 12 gage for each positive and negitive... i turned down my gain to zero and the bass to amost zero ... fuse lasted then i turned up gain a lil not much sounded like crap so i turned up the bass on the amp a little and boom there goes the fuse... is that the subs or my amp ? they are those 12 inch pyles also i dont have a coil yet im gettin it tommorw morn any answers to why the fuse blows

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 30
Because you're amp is rated higher than the fuse you're TRYING to use. GRAB A 30A FUSE.

Also, you're using TWO 12g wires for each pos/neg terminal?????????? *sigh* suck it up and buy some bigger wire!

Post Number: 5
amp is rated for 15! thats what im using

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3914
go spend the $25 for an 8ga amp wiring kit, cheapskate.
www.knukonceptz.com

then get the proper fuse size, and buy some decent subs in a good box.

I feel sorry for that amplifier.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 32
LOL @ Glass.

I was almost waiting for glass to come make me look stupid. I'm glad he agrees though.

How's this: Sell me your amp. *chuckles*

You think my Infinity Kappa is worthy of that amp, Glass? I do. I feel sorry for my sub with this $h!tty California amp powering it...if I can get it to work.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3924
the Kappa subs are nice. they won't win any SPL events, but they're very acurate and tight.
good SQ subs for moderate systems.

Post Number: 6
alright i bought a wiring kit im doing this rite... this is my first system so sorry for not knowing alot.. i had my amp wired in mono the subs were wired in parelle so i need to wire them in mono then i should be alright im not going to keep those pyles tho there just my firends anyways lol

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3935
aha
if the amp was bridged then it's only 4 ohm stable.
there's your problem right there.
and also why you were blowing fuses. it was trying to draw upwards of 30A.
heheh

Post Number: 7
so i leave the amp bridged rite and just wire the speakers in series?

Post Number: 8
Hey all i have been looking at speakers i was thinking aobut picking up a pair of jl audio 12s 8ohms 125 rms for about 160 a peace new think thats a good deal and will thos match up with my amp? thanks matt

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3943
yeah wire them in series.
that'd work.

j.s.
Unregistered guest
i think u should buy my amp, planet audio tt2250D,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts