Amp turning on and off

Mark31
Unregistered guest
Recently my amp has been shutting off when the bass levels start to rise. The protection light goes on, but then it tries to go again. It will hit once and then the protection light comes back on. The guy at a local car audio shop suggested a new fuse(80A). When I changed it, it made no diference. I checked the cables, and they are all securely in place. I'm really wanting to get this problem fixed fast. Any advicxe is appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3888
the fuse??? geesh. that guy was clueless.
no offense.

anyway, check your ground first. it should be equal size cable to the power line and should be a solid connection to sanded bare metal for chassis grounding, if possible, less than 24" long.
also check how your subs are wired with the amp. the impedance may be too low for the amp.
after that, check your amp's gains. if they're set too high, the amp will clip, and enter thermal protection to avoid damage to the speakers.

what amp is this, and what speakers? what coil configuration are they?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3889
by the way if that fuse is 80A, that amplifier may be drawing more current than your stock alternator can even supply. If that's teh case, your amp is clipping and again, protecting itself and the speakers from sagging voltage rails.
time to upgrade to a high output alternator.

Mark 31
Unregistered guest
Thanx for replying. The amp is a KX1200.1 that u reccomended to me and I have been very happy with, and the subs are 2 12" Audiobahn's. I'm not sure of the exact models. When the guy installed the amp he said he was only gona run the power at half potential because he didn't think the subs could handle it. I think u may be right about the ground because I was tinkering around for a bit and got it to hook up at full power for about a min before it started doin it again.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3891
that amp is 1 ohm stable, so that probably isn't the problem.
may be that ground.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us