InterFire 4700 amp stuck in protect mode

Username: Audiophile

O'Fallon, MO USA

Post Number: 1
If you haven't notice, I'm new to the board. It looks like Glasswolf is pretty highly respected seeing as how his name is in alot of the threads asking for help.

So maybe he can help me. I got the amp free from a friend and anytime you power it up it gets power, then puts itself in protect mode. Any way to remove the protect mode feature, or, less drastically, turn it off?

Email responses are welcome as well.

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 2
Well I just figured out that this board displays your full name like a user...

Oh well. I'll be out for a bit. So no one spazz if I don't reply right away. Thanks in advance everyone/anyone!

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 4
TTT (to the top)

How do I delete on of my double posts???

Bronze Member
Username: Siryoink

VA

Post Number: 11
There's no way to turn this off. Your amp goes into protect mode to keep from being damaged. Check your fuses and make sure they are the proper size and aren't blown. Also, double-check that your amp is getting 12v on the positive input terminal and be sure your ground wire is the same guage or larger than your positive wire.

Did your friend say the amp works? Because sometimes a bad amp will always stay in protect mode.

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 7
Well, a bit ago I drained the internal capacitors hoping to drain the memory. Haven't powered it up again yet...I'll let you all know.

Thanks Yoink!

Bronze Member
Username: Smokeit

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 78
get it bench tested from local audio shops most of them can do it for around 5-10 dollars. and double check the ground. or just take the amp apart and throw a glass of water on there after ur so pissed u cant do anything with it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3853
just read this thread.
apparently your amp has a short internally causing the protection mode, or the amp is wired to too low of a load and is protecting itself from damage.
if you bypass the protect mode you'd only start a fire.
the amp needs to be serviced.

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 8
Meh...I'm gonna try it again tomorrow. I was just too lazy today. I need to go buy a couple fuses though first...>_<

Hmm. Too low of a load? As in It doesn't like the sub its being wired to? *feels oblivious*

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3861
yes.
if the sub(s) wired to the amp present lower than 2 ohms, that will cause the amp to enter thermal protection.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 12
Well, when we were testing it, we tested the amp with my friend(joe)'s Rockford Punch1. It's a single 2(I believe)Ohm voice coil.

If I run my Kappa DVC (4ohm/coil) 12's coils in series it should level out to 2ohms right?

Unfortunately, I can only run it off one channel (the amp is 350x2), otherwise I think I'd run 350 to each coil...

any thoughts glass?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3869
with a single DVC sub, coils in series would be 8 ohms
parallel would be 2 ohms
you need to get a mono amp for a single DVC sub like that.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 13
*sigh* I came here thinking I was smart. Then glass shows up and makes me look like...well, like one of the people in the "I can't hook up my PS2 to my car" topics.

I've had no experience with DVC subs untill now, so perhaps you could help me with something. How can I run both coils in parallel with only 1 terminal cup? Do I just run both coils to the 1 inner-port, then 2 wires out of the external? After that, I would hook them both to...1 channel-right? That would make them run at 2 ohms?

Thank you glass for all of your help. Thank you even more if you help me again ^_^.

By the way, if you have AIM, it might be easier to chat. Mine is:
TrickedOutS2000

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 15
One more thing, sorry--I'm not used to this whole inability to edit posts thing.

Is this amp a POS(trash it) or should I try to sell it on ebay?

Wow...I just figured out that my earlier post didn't go through......Well I got the amp working again. It's just that my car is a bit...disabled at the moment-so I'm planning a home setup for a bit. I need to run up to Radio Shack or something and buy a transformer, some wire, a few fuses, a Y (rca) adapter, and some RCA cable. here goes 50-75 bucks...*sigh*

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3882
yeah I like being able to edit a post too.. heh I had to adjust as well.
that PS2 comment was a riot.

here's a diagram for a DVC sub. it's easier to see it drawn out:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 19
Glad you enjoyed my humor ;). That topic was a frickin joke...I think I laughed half way through--same question was asked about 40 times, and answered about 15-20. *sigh* Morons...

Hah, that's funny. I just read that diagram in someone else's topic and was thinking, "D^mn...that helped alot."

So answer me one more thing. Could I use this amp bridged 1&2 (its 4 channels, not 2 like I mistakenly said earlier) into 350w, or do I NEED a mono amp? I really don't have the money to buy another amp, so if I bought anything, it'd be either used, ebayed, or a POS. Maybe all three.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3903
sure bridge it, but remember bridged it's only 4 ohm stable

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 27
*sigh* ****ed again. So I guess I could only run 175 (from one channel) to it as a 2 ohm load?

[I'm sure as hell not taking my chances running 350 to each coil...)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3916
you have a dual 4 ohm coil sub and a 4 channel amp?

bridge the amp and wire the sub with one coil on each bridged channel.
you'll get full amp power to the sub.
600 watts, I believe.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 31
You sure I'll be alright running 300 to each coil?

Wouldn't I need 2 terminal cups for that? Neh...I don't think I'll lose TOO much sound with the back open eh? just a 3" hole...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3925
with the back of what open?
you're not making sense.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 44
Oh...sorry that was at midnight running on only 4 hours of sleep from the night before...

With the back of the box open, where the terminal cup fits in. It's only a 3" hole, so I should be ok. Im buying a new box soon enough anyway. Maybe I'll cut a hole for another terminal cup in the new box.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3941
do that and you lose damping for the sub.
you stand a good chance of blowing the cone out of the speaker.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 46
Hmm didnt think of that...You are talking about if I leave it open right?

On a side note, I've managed 45 posts in <1week! YAY! Maybe one day I'll have as many as you, Glass?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us