91 Nissan 240sx , speakers keep cutting out at raised volume please Help.

Username: 240lover24

Post Number: 1
hey im having a problem with my door speakers cutting out when i turn the volume up in my car. i just bought the car and when i got it there were no speakers or head unit in it. i hooked up my old alpine ida x303 head unit and a brand new pair of pyle 4x6 2 way coaxial speakers. the speakers sound fine and seem to work at lower volumes but as soon as i get it past ten on the volume control it cuts out for about 2-3 seconds and turns back on again. i understand this is most likely a safety mechanism in the head unit shutting it off but i used the same alpine deck in my ford ranger and it could run a ten inch sub and four 6x9s at around 25 on the volume control and it was alot louder. coud this be a problem with the speaker wire guage? i was looking up similar problems on the web and some people were saying it was a problem with the head unit amp. my head unit is in pretty good condition although it has been used before in my old truck. so my main questions here are: What could the problem be? And If its a power clip in my head unit is there a way around that or do i need a new head unit?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 928
Well, there could be a variety of things that could be the root of this problem, but from what you've described, I would say that yes, like you mentioned it seems like you are clipping your speakers.

Mainly what is happening is that the built in amplifier on your deck may be overpowering the speakers when you go above 10, causing them to cut out.

Also, but don't quote me on this, but Nissan seemed to install Factory Amplifiers in some models of their vehicle around this time. I actually just did an install on a 1991 300zx and was able to find one so there is a chance you may have one as well. If you are able to locate it, bypass it!

Also, here is a wiring Guide on your vehicle. Make sure everything is wired correctly:

Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground Chassis
Illumination Red/Blue
Dimmer Red/Yellow
Antenna Left Rear
Front Speakers 4" x 6" Doors
Left Front (+) Blue/White
Left Front (-) Blue/Yellow
Right Front (+) Brown
Right Front (-) Brown/White
Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Red
Left Rear (-) Green
Right Rear (+) Blue
Right Rear (-) Pink

Bronze Member
Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 57
i had a problem similar to that in my lincoln. it turned out to be a short in a wire coming directly off the head unit. the short was in a wire goin to the passenger front speaker and when i turned up the volume it affected every speaker in my car. the only way it didnt effect my turning my stereo up was if i put all the volume on the drivers side speakers. ild try each speaker seperately and see if it does it on each individual 1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us