What kind of amp should i use to power 2 18s

Username: Crisb

Post Number: 1
hey i have a few questions. first i was wondering if i got a good price on 2 level 5 18 inch DC audio subs. i bought them for 400. wondering if i got ripped off. and then i have no clue what kind of amp to use to power them, because im new to all this sub stuff but want a sweet system in my suv. i was thinking about like a kicker zx.2500.1 amp but don't know if that's enough power. i would appreciate if you could lead me in the right direction into buying an amp/ amps. i have around 300 to 500 to spend one. and i dont know all the omhs and bridging stuff so if you could please put it in easier terms like how much watts i need to both subs/sub. thank you sooo much

Username: Kiepher

Post Number: 1
hate to break it to you, but 2 level 5s was not a good choice for someone just getting into car audio. A zx2500.1 is only enough to power one of those 18s. and even if you could find it for less than $500, the wiring, sub box and upgrades to your car's electrical system would bring the cost to well over $1000. Luckily $400 is a good deal for those so you can probably resell them for the same price.
Let's start over, what suv is it? How much room do you have in the trunk and are you willing to use all of it? What's your budget assuming you can sell of the level 5s?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 931
For getting yourself into Car Audio, you picked one beast of a Subwoofer to start with. Just like Alex stated above, the Kicker zx2500.1 will not be able to support both of these Subwoofers at once.

Each Subwoofer is able to handle 2000 Watts RMS. With that said, you will need at least 4000 Watts RMS to support both Subwoofers. Now there are a few different ways to approach this. You can either find one amplifier that can handle 4000+ Watts RMS, or find two amplfiers that can handle 2000+ Watts RMS.

Now in order for us to find the best amplifier for you, we are going to need to know if your Subwoofers you have are Dual Voice Coil 1Ohm or Dual Voice Coil 2Ohm? If you do not know, check the user manual that came with the Subwoofers.

Also, as stated above, you are going to have to seriously upgrade your electrical system in your vehicle. This process will easily be a good $1000+ out of your budget. The best way to upgrade your electrical system is to perform a Big 3 Upgrade. To learn more about this, visit the link below:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

As far as the price goes, I would say $400 for both Subwoofers is a very fair price.

Username: Stevokentucky

Frankfort, Ky Us

Post Number: 8
Ha! you should keep them in your living room and get yourself a Peavey PV 2600 Power Amp and shake your whole freaking neighborhood ;D
and hey, that Peavey amp is in your price range! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us