Car speaker setup. HELP!

Username: Wraith1110

Post Number: 2
okay so i have a honda civic and currently have polk db651's in the front with boston acoustic 6x9's in the rear. No amp no subs. I am on a very tight budget. Would it be better to get a 4 channel amp for the 4 speakers? Should i just get a sub and monoblock amp instead? Ive heard something about not even having rear speakers and just having front speakers with a 2 channel amp. Would this make for better sound quality? and how hard is it to wire if you were to take out the rear speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 93
It honestly depends on what your trying to achieve.

If you want crisper, cleaner, louder mids/highs; get a 4 channel. If you feel the need to fill that low frequency void, get a monoblock + sub.

As for the removal of the rear speakers, yea typically having speakers behind you will ruin the soundstage created in your car, it puts the ideal listening point somewhere in the middle of of your car behind the front seats. This is why most people going for sound quality setups will either go with a pair of mids that are band-passed and playing a mono signal or just remove the rear speakers all together.

Finally 99.9% of car audio setup/installation is not hard. Its just about how much effort your willing to put into it. about 8 months ago I didn't know a thing about car audio or car related electronics. I got interested in subs, and within a few months my car got a complete revamp; speakers, amps, custom designed sub-box, head-unit, big-3 (all DIY jobs). You just gotta know where on the internet to look for help

Post Number: 3
okay thanks. I know I would now want an amp for my front stage and a sub. I don't know too much about car audio but i know a little. For my very low budget should i just get rid of the rear speakers and get a 2-channel amp to power the front speakers? Will just my front speakers be enough to cover the mids with just a single 10 or 12 inch sub? Will I b able to hook all of this up straight to the HU? Will I NEED anything extra such as a capacitator, equalizor, battery, ect?

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcivic

Post Number: 13
What year is your car? Music taste? Coupe or sedan?

Post Number: 4
It is a small 1999 sedan 2 door.

Post Number: 5
It is a small 2 door sedan. I thought about it and i would want passengers to have a good sound experience as well so would just two db651's and a sub sound good for the people in the back of the car?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I would personally invest in a single sub and amp first. Do you an aftermarket Head unit?

Post Number: 7
yeah i have an eclipse avn52d. I would like to be able to bump some bass but would not want to have anything that u can hear from far away. would 1 10" be a good choice?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I would like to be able to bump some bass but would not want to have anything that u can hear from far away."

Thats exactly what I said when I started, I would go with a 12"

Post Number: 8
okay thank you a lot. so i should get rid of the rear speakers, get a 2 channel amp for the 2 front speakers, then get a separate sub and mono block amp? would i need a capacitor or any accessories for the low rms setup i will be using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Well, here's the deal.. I'm actually just did what you described up top. I took my 4 channel amp, bridged it to 2 channels one for each component set up front. I took my back speakers out and the bass response from the subwoofer sounds better because the back speaker holes act as ports somewhat. I am very happy with the sound I have now, but, I don't think that I would have been able to achieve that sound with out a good front stage. Right now I have a set of Hertz hsk165xl components in my doors and tweeters mounted in the dash. Prior to this set up I had a set of infinity kappa 6.5 components and there I don't feel that they were good enough to provide a good enough front stage to allow me to scrap my back speakers.

It looks like your Polks are coaxials, right? I don't think they can create good enough imaging to warrant scrpping your 6x9's. I would go with a single 12" sub, a mono amp, and a four channel amplifier for ALL four of your speakers. Then, when you save up enough $ for a solid set of components you can scrap the back speakers and bridge the 4-channel amp to your components. I would only recommend that you use good quality cable and do the big 3 upgrade.. No capacitor. Also, I would recommend that you go with 0 gauge power/ground cables so that you have room for upgrading power later on. Which, I'm suree you will probably end up doing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Sorry about all the typos.. I'm typing on a blackberry and I got fat fingers. Lol

I'm just learning too, I'm no expert.. Yet!

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Post Number: 9
okay here's the deal. The 6x9's sound very muffled and poor where they are right now. The bass is still noticeable but the mids and highs are absolutely terrible and muffled and very quiet. Do you still think i should keep them?

Username: Mehrab

Post Number: 1
hi,
mine is a suzuki swift 2008 (hatchback).
my current setup:
Front speakers: Sony xplod XS-GT1638F (16cm, 3-way coaxial, 260Watts)
Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X7550SD
Back speakers: non-brand (dont know exact specs, very low sound)
I want to put a pair of Pioneer TS-A1675s (3-way, coaxial, 300Watts) in the front, send the sony speakers in the back. the head unit stays the same.
How do you reckon this setup would perform? waiting for your thoughts guys.

cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us