Planet Audio AC3000.1D, 1000 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms, will it do at least 400 RMS?

Username: Jay_castro

Santa Ana, San Jos Costa Rica

Post Number: 1
Hi !
I just purchased a brand new Planet Audio model AC3000.1D, class d amp, for $189, from VN INNOVATIONS.COM. I had to rebuilt my whole audio system, cuss my car got flooded, a few months ago, so I was kind of on a tight budget. Anyway, I have never use Planet Audio products before, seems like the name never convinced me, even though I have never seen them perform, but I have to admit back in 2001 their products seem pretty neat and sharp in design. Since then, I just heard few people mention them, but I heard it is a great brand. So don't know how good Planet Audio products are doing these days, but my question is, I have a brand new Pioneer Premier TS-W1207D4, that I got for $92 from CarAmpAndSpeaker.com. This is a dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer, that is rated for 400w RMS. I will wire it in series to present an 8 ohm load, cuss I don't really like how it sounds @ 2 ohms, I know it's more power, but not what I am looking for. So since this sub can only be wired for 2 and 8 ohms, and I prefer 8 ohm, I will be using just between 300 and 400w rms from the amp. So question, do you think this Planet Audio amp rated for 1000 x 1 rms @ 4 ohm, give me at least 300-400w rms at 8 ohms load ? What has me questioning is that it only comes with two 25A built in fuse rating, weird right ?

Username: Oitze

Oakland, California USA

Post Number: 7
The amp is only pulling 50 amps, is because it's a class D amp, it's designed to use less amperage compared to a, let's say a Class AB amplifier. I'm not really sure about the amp putting out the rated power unless its a cea-compliant amplifier, but that's just me, and why not just get two dual 4 ohm subs wire them in series, so it's a 8 ohm load for both subs, and hook them up to the amp so it will see it as a 4 ohm load?

Post Number: 2
Great to know oltZe, I really apreciate your help on this one ! And have you ever used Planet Audio amps before or know anyone who have ? I will like to have some feedback on them.

Bronze Member
Username: Atreidies

Houston, TX

Post Number: 83
It is impossible for that amp to push 1000w rms @ 4 ohms. Easy math is watts=amps x volts. So even at 14.4volts, with only 50 amps possible, you are looking at 720 watts MAX. You are probably closer to 13 volts from your alternator so 650 watts would be more reasonable. BUT, since electronics cause a loss in power just by functioning, the real number is lower than that.

To make it easy, and this is by no means exact, multiply the fuse rating by 10 for d class and by 6 for ab amps. SO, you are probably looking at 500w rms from that amp at best.

Did you have the amp gain turned all of the way up? Do you have the bass boost all of the way up? If so, turn the boost down all the way. If the gain and bass boost are too high, it will sound like crap no matter what.

Post Number: 3
So it could be 500w rms but at what ohms ? Like if I present an 8 ohm load, will I get those 500 watts rms ?

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 84
No. The specs show the amp as 1 ohm stable, but I wouldn't trust that. If it made 500w rms @ 1 ohm, it would be 250 @ 2 ohms and 125 @ 8 ohms. I would run it at 2 ohms with the boost down and turn the gain down. Then turn your system up to the max level you will listen to it and slowly turn the gain up until it starts to sound like crap, then turn it back down just a bit. Ghetto way of doing it, but most don't have access to the equipment to do it properly.

Username: Oitze

Oakland, California USA

Post Number: 8
I never used any planet audio equipment before, so I won't be able to give you any feedback on it, me and my friends mainly use Rockford fosgate, and JL's audio's equipment. but I think your amp should be fine unless you plan on competing or something, and also most amp won't even put out the power on the box unless you meet all the requirements, like running the perfect voltage is the most important one, for any amp to make it's rated power.

Post Number: 4
So basically after that wiring, I should turn the head unit to maybe 3/4 to the top and then start to turn the amp's gain up until I sounds bad or distorted, and then bring it down until I get a clean and faithfull signal ?

Post Number: 5
How would I be running the perfect voltage ? So make sure the alternator's rectifiers and voltage regulator are working fine and to be sure the 55 AMP battery is also working fine. Then to use good power wire, I got Rockford Fosgate Dual Amp 4 AWG kit, that one seems pretty good.

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 85
"So basically after that wiring, I should turn the head unit to maybe 3/4 to the top and then start to turn the amp's gain up until I sounds bad or distorted, and then bring it down until I get a clean and faithfull signal ?"

Yes.

I think oltZe was referring to companies rating their amps @14.4 volts which is unrealistic for most of us without an upgraded electrical system.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16705
one site i found said four 25 amp fuses that would mean 1000 watts at 1 ohm for a class d amp

Bronze Member

Houston, TX

Post Number: 87
The generally accepted estimate is 10 times fuse rating for d and 6 times fuse rating for ab.

Bronze Member
Username: Jirvin_82

Post Number: 14
I used to compete in car audio and ran a planet audio 2250D and it was the best amp I ever used. I used to work at a car audio shop as an installer and we sold planet audio stuff and had nothing but good luck with it. I now am running a Planet Audio1000 Watt amp and I love it. Planet Audio in my own personal opinion is one of the best brand of amps you can get. Produce a lot of power, have a great sound, and can absolutely be abused. When I was doing bass comps my 2250D would get crazy hot but always performed at its best. I would kill to have that amp again but can't afford it right now. This is my own personal review of planet audio. Not a fan of their subs but love their amps.

Post Number: 7
Thanks a lot Jaron ! That makes me feel better ! And soon I will be installing it, along with the rest of my new car audio ! I have been waiting so worry to be sure that all my gear will perform ast it's best ! Specially my subwoofer amp, which does the hardest work. And since I never used Planet Audio stuff before, I was a little worried. Well thanks again, so now I get more feeback on this brand !

Post Number: 8
***Update***
So finally I was able to install this Planet Audio mono amp, model AC3000.1D. My concern and the reason why I started this thread was that I was afraid I could run short of power, that the amp would not do the power it says it does in the specs (1000w x 1 @ 4ohm). The Pioneer Premier 12 inch d4 vc 400w I have, can only be connected when alone ( as opose to a pair of these) at 2 ohm or at 8ohm. I got it new for a really good deal and actually it is a great sub. So I decided to keep it instead of returning it to get a diff one. So I decided I would rather wire it in 8 ohms than 2 ohm, I not into noise and loudness, Iam into sound quality and absolutely no noise, just tight and punchy bass. So anyway, I wired this sub into 8 ohms and man this amp represents ! I am very impressed to see a amp that punches that sub the way it's supposed to. Gain knob 65 %, bass knob 60 %, Subsonic 15 hz, Sensitivity 2v, Phase 0, Freq Cut off 50 Hz. The head unit sub gain is at -2 db. Let me tell you something, trying to measure the amp's power (watts) by the fuse rating (like Perry from BCAE1 said) it's USELESS ! First of all it does not even add up, I did that for amps that are CEA Certified and the result is not even close to acurate. According to this formula watts=amps x volts, my amp was going to produce around 125 watts rms @ 8 ohm. Jajajajajajaj, if thats what 125 watts sound like, welll I'll be damm !!!! Man you must me smoking crack to confuse that heart pounding, tight and running at 65 % output mega bass I getting from this baby, with a lausy, barely noticeable 125w bass at 8 ohm !!!! Ohhhhh sheeeeeesass!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us