Aura Amps

Username: Onib

Potsmouth, Hants UK

Post Number: 2
Hi with reference to the UK made Aura amp. I worked for Aura B&W and had a very significant input into the design of this amp. The initial concept came from Andy Hunt who now makes Matrix amps. I don't often praise people but Andy is a genius, understanding audio physics at the highest level and probably one of the best Fet amp designers of our time. If a tarry substace starts to come out of the Aura amp it is almost certainly the power supply capacitors which are at fault.
The voltage on the supply rails of the amp are around 51v to 54v, depending on the mains voltage, and the supply capacitors on many production amps are rated at 50volts. The result is that the capacitors fail after a few hundred hours. The tarry substance is the electrolyte from the capacitor leaking. If you have an Aura amp check the supply caps and check if the amp has been modded. If the amp has been modded the 4 big capacitors (the4 black cylinders about 40mmdia and about 40mm high) will be rated at 65volts if the amp has not been modded the caps will be rated at 50volts. If you have the 50volt caps in your amp get them changed as soon as possible. Any compertent electronics person will be able to change them easily. The amp has an exceptional performance and will easily reproduce bass notes where only the very big amps are able to go. The amp has a very low intermodulation distortion, especially with very sensitive and highly inductive loudspeakers and in certain conditions giving it a slightly valve amp type sound. I am unable to tell you how this is achieved as the technique is still being used and is still highly confidential.
The amp is brill and if you have one keep it as they are quite highly sought after now. The amp produces about 49 watts RMS per channel into an 8 ohm resistive load and can produce long bursts of well over 50 watts RMS in to loudspeaker loads so please beware of the power output, especially in the lower frequencies, if you have lower wattage speakers.
I hope that this has filled in a few gaps guys best wishes Les Wallin

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16276
spam
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us