Need advice on a good head unit

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 160
I currently have a JVC KD-R600. its just a standard single din head unit, but it only has one pair of RCA outs and im adding a front stage amp into my setup so my subs dont drown out the bass. I dont know much about head units. it seems that they all sound basiclly the same. My friend has a cheapo Dual flip out in his truck and his system sounds just as good as mine.

So i guess im looking for a head unit with more than 1 set of RCA outs. preferebly 3, cuz i will eventually have a separate amp for mids and highs. I dont want to spend a fortune ether. target budget is $200 but if thats not really possible just let me know. i dont really care if its new or used as long as it does what its supposed to

Bronze Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 32
Around $160 new 3 preouts, high quality, reads Ipod & USB: Alpine CDA-105. It will outclass your JVC.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 176
Well thanks man that oughtta work great! i used to have an older alpine and i loved it

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 45
The CDA-105 is a great unit. I bought one about 4 months ago for $170 off of amazon.com. The Ipod control on it is really easy to use and the cable comes out of the back of the unit so you can hide your Ipod in your glove box.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 177
eh that would be really inconvenient for me. the way my car is i really have to reach foward to do stuff on the head unit so i just heep my ipod in my lap and change it from there

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 46
Well the USB/Ipod cable is quite long, so you could run it out and to the front so you could set it in your lap. I can check on mine, but I am pretty sure once you plug the Ipod in, you can only control it from the head unit itself. I know some people like to choose music using the Ipod, so that might not be desirable for you.

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 47
I just went out to my car to check, and I also looked in the manual. When you connect and Ipod to the head unit, the controls on the Ipod aren't functional, and you have to use the head unit to navigate through your songs. I'm not sure if this is just the way the CDA-105 operates, or if every current Alpine head unit is like this(I'm guessing they all are). If you don't like the way it works with the Alpine units, you may want to check out other brands.

Regardless, it is still a great head unit and I love it. I personally prefer to have the Ipod hidden away because I don't like having cables all over the place in my car and the user interface on the CDA-105 is very user-friendly.

I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT in my friend's car. This would be another good suggestion for you, as Pioneer also makes awesome head units. It has 3 sets of 4V preamp outputs, front USB and AUX inputs, and you CAN use the controls on the Ipod when it is connected (I have seen it first-hand in my friend's car). Also it has Bluetooth if that is important to you. If you don't want Bluetooth, I think Pioneer has a unit with all the same features except for Bluetooth for a cheaper price. On Sonic Electonix it is $169.99 right now. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22378_Pioneer+DEH-P6200BT.html.

Hopefully this information will help you out a bit....

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 178
Well i know pioneer is one of the top when it comes to head units, and I like that I can control my ipod from the ipod, and the price is a lot better than what i expected so i think thats what im gunna go with. Thanks a lot!

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 179
This is my first time doing a head unit myself so when I wire it do i just cut the existing wires and match the colors with the head units wiring harness and solder? and do head units come with wiring harnesses?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
For a simple install you could try a crossover in the back, much more flexible, no need to swap HU's or run the 3 RCA sets. Most multichannel amps have it integrated.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 934
Yea,your hu will come with a harness out of the deck,but your still going to need one to match up with your stock wiring. Will,also check out kenwood excelon. Cheap,sound good an look good too.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 183
I have no idea what a crossover is or what it does. My head unit only has 1 pair or pre-outs, and theyre switchable between rear and subwoofer modes. If i have it on subwoofer mode, it only sends out low frequencies. If i have it on rear mode, it sends out the full range, but it takes away my subwoofer level control, makes the subs too loud and rumbly, and it just overall sounds like crap.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 935
Wait.. nevermind. Mine has to be controlled through the hu so im assuming there all like that. But,there are nice tho.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 185
What do you mean to match up with stock wiring? when the audio shop put my current head unit in, they just cut everything and matched the wires on the harness with the cars wires using boot connectors. and Ill check out the excelons too, But unless i can find a comparable excelon for quite a bit cheaper, ill just do the pioneer for $160

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 186
yeeah gotta have the ipod control

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 937
I just mean you need a wire harness for your car.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/car_stereo/ installation_guide.html?page=3

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
If you setup your HU to send the full range signal, the crossover will split the frequency range to different outputs, you can then connect amplifiers to each output, usually 2 or 3 amplifiers can be connected but as many as 5 in some pro models, the results are better than what you get from most HUs. As before most multichannel amps have a built in crossover.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15993
what unit did you go with

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 218
nothin yet but i think im gunna go the pioneer with bluetooth. i was between that and a soundstream flip out touch screen. and yes i realize pioneer is far superior, but the head units not running the speakers and the soundstream was pretty sweet

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16016
i hope pioneer fixed their faulty rca issues.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 221
fill me in here?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Yes, I usually find difficult to recommend Pioneer because of a few very common reliability issues including the infamous picofuse issue. A small surface mounted fuse blows inside the HU if the slightest mistake is made when installing, sometimes appears unexpectedly. The result is all the car electrical noise (mostly engine noise) is amplified. The noise is usually really strong. Even their flagship model was affected. Replacing the fuse requires disassembling the unit.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 224
oh wow haha well thats lame. maybe ill just go with he soundstream then

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 48
Does Pioneer still have these issues with their head units though? As long as you ground your head unit to the chassis of the vehicle first,(like you should be doing anyways) there shouldn't be an issue with blowing the internal fuse. Just something to think about...

Bronze Member

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 49
Also you could try not using the factory ground wire from the deck and actually ground the deck chassis to the vehicle chassis...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us