How do I add another battery into my setup?

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 118
Im about to get a c&d high rate 100ah battery to add into my setup and I was wondering what the best way to wire this would be.

Heres how i would think to do it: Run my positive 1/0 (from the battery under the hood) to the positive of this battery in my trunk, and then run the 2 4ga runs to my amp from that battery. And i would ground this battery to the trunk near my amp grounds.

I think i have the part about the positive runs right but I have no idea if that ground would work or do I need to run a ground back to my battery under the hood?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14132
use a battery isolator.
this prevents the audio system battery from draining the starter battery, so if you run the audio system into the ground with the engine off, you can still start your car.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 130
well I very seldom run my audio with the engine off because i like to keep my amp supply over 13 volts. when i do its usually just when im waiting somewhere and i have it very low. so would the isolator be necessary? My starting battery is 3 dats old and I want to give as much power as I can to this system.

And Is my grounding correct or do i need to run it back to under the hood?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14141
the isolator is your best way to go. they dont cost that much anyway. get one rated for the output of your alternator. 120A or whatever you have.
then you run the line from alternator to isolator, and isolator to trunk battery, ground battery in the trunk, and wire both pos and neg of amps directly to the trunk battery.

If you want a really nice isolator, find an old Orion MBR70 on eBay.
I have one in my garage somewhere. It's a "smart" isolator.

Silver Member

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 133
alright ill do that. and this battery is 100ah. is this a big enough battery for my 3kw amp?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14143
hard to really say for certain. 100 amp-hours is only one measure of the battery, as it doesn't indicate the discharge curve isn't indicated.

These links will help you out.
How big of a battery do you need?
Battery isolators explained
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us