2 or 4 ohm subs?

hi i have a mrv-t707 600 watt alpine amp. i'm considering buying 2 12" type-r alpine subs but idk whether to buy the 2-ohm or 4-ohm ... also im not sure that i'll buy 2 b/c i dont know if the amp will push 2 of them good enough so i guess i need to know what would go best with this amplifier?.... im pretty sure that i want alpine type-r's .. but i dont know whether i need 10" subs .. or only one .. or 12" subs... and i dont know whether i need 2 or 4 ohm speakers when i do choose .. thanks a lot

MEXXX
If you buy 2 subs get the 2 ohm versions.If you just get 1 make sure it is a 4 ohm so you can bridge the amp without overloading it.It wont be enough power to satisfy two 12"s but they will be louder than two 10"s.

bobby
whats gonna happen if i do buy 4-ohm subs b/c that might be all that i can find for a cheaper price?

MEXXX
Nothin bad,but 2 ohm stereo will draw a little more power out of that amp than 4 ohm stereo.Just remember,2 ohm stereo is the same as 4 ohm mono.Maby you should start off with a single 4 ohm 12" type r.

bobby
heres the specs on my amp.....
mrv-t707 alpine

-Dividing Network : 30Hz-200Hz HP(12dB/oct), LP(24dB/oct)
-Foot Print (WxHxD)in : 10-5/8O x 11O x 2-3/8O
-Foot Print (WxHxD)mm : 270mm x 280mm x 60mm
-Frequency Reponse : 10Hz - 50kHz (+0, - 1dB)
-Heat Sink (WxHxD)in : 10-5/8O x 10-1/4O x 2-3/8O
-Heat Sink (WxHxD)mm : 270mm x 260mm x 60mm
-Input Impedance : 10k ohm
-Input Sensitivity (for rated power) : 200mV ~ 4.0V
-Power Requirements : 14.4V DC (11V to 16V)
-Signal to Noise (S/N) : 100BA (referenced to rated power)
-Slew Factor : greater than 5
-Speaker Impedance : 4 or 2 ohms(stereo), 4 ohms(bridged)

MAX Power (at 14.4V,EIAJ)

-Bridged 4 ohms : 600W x 1
-Per channel into 4 ohms : 225W x 2

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-20kHz)

-Bridged 4 ohms : 240W x 1 (0.3% THD)
-Per channel into 2 ohms : 120W x 2 (0.3% THD)
-Per channel into 4 ohms : 70W x 2 (0.08%THD)

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-20kHz)

-Bridged 4 ohms : 340W x 1 (0.3% THD)
-Per channel into 2 ohms : 170W x 2 (0.03% THD)
-Per channel into 4 ohms : 100W x 2 (0.03% THD)

now im thinkin about going with the type-s's because the guy at the speaker store said that that amp isnt gonna be enough power for the type-r's .... but i dont know if it is gonna be too much power for the type-s's ... the type-s's are 50-200 rms ... i dont know how all of this works out? ... can anyone tell me if its gonna overpower the speakers?....

sorry theres more... if i get the type-s's then how to i need to wire them? ... what if they're 4-ohm ... what if they're 2 ohm .. please explain the wirign .. i dont know what parallel and series means... thanks so much

so since it says:

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-20kHz)

-Bridged 4 ohms : 340W x 1 (0.3% THD)
-Per channel into 2 ohms : 170W x 2 (0.03% THD)
-Per channel into 4 ohms : 100W x 2 (0.03% THD)

do i need to get the 2 ohm version? ... sorry i feel so stupid .. lol

MEXXX
Dont even bother looking a 14.4 volt specs on amplifiers unless you have a 200+ amp alternator or 50 farads of capacitance.Here is what I suggest.Either get two 10" 2 ohm type S subs or one 4 ohm 12" type R.Its not much power too work with so dont expect to turn any heads.

hey mexx, thanks for helpin out, i really appreciate it. i've had a mtx thunder 6000 hooked up to a crappier 300 watt jensen amp that i got for free, well some idiot traded me my jensen for that alpine that i have now, well it kind of scares me to turn the gain up high and to turn the volume up really high b/c im not so sure that the sub can handle it... the sub is rated at 50-250 rms ... is it gonna be fine if i turn the gain all the way up and the power all the way up? .. thanks a lot

bobby
also what should i set the cross-over? .. what does the cross-over do? .. it goes from 50-200 ... i want the most bass possible .. i dont even know if this has anythign to do with it
... thanks

MEXXX
If you turn the gain all the way up and turn the head unit all the way up you will kill that sub.Not from "over powering" it,but from DC clipping,a.k.a. distortion.The crossover stops sounds that you dont want the sub to reproduce.In my opinion a sub should never be crossed over any higher than 100hz.I recommend somewhere around 70-80hz.

okay heres a few things, i'm about to decide on either alpine type-s 10"'s or 12"'s, for the first while i'll be using the same amp i have now, how will i wire them if i get each 4-ohm? ... each 2 ohm?, oh another important thing ... are the 12"'s gonna fit in a truck box? :s ... is that amp gonna be able to begin to push them?.. i'm thinkin that the tens are a better idea... because im pretty sure i can find a truck box for them... not positive .. let me know .. thanks a lot

bobby
oh yea .. i'm also thinking about(in the long run) which may be forever and a day) getting a separate amp for each sub.... so once again how many ohms? .. i'd rather have good bass for right now and then have to get new amps and new subs... let me know thanks tons

bobby
whats gonna happen if i get the 2-ohm type-s's now and then later on get another amp thats identical to the one i have now? ... is that not gonna be so good? so then i should get the 4-ohm subs now ... but then am i gonna lose a lot of power until i get another amp?

MEXXX
Here is what I think will be best for now and later.If you look hard enough you can find a 12" truck style box that will fit,so go with the 12"s if you can.If not there is nothing with getting the 10"s.Either way buy the 2 ohm versions.For one thing,running your current amp at 2 ohm stereo will get you all the power available from it.Then,later on when you decide to upgrade you can get a 1 ohm stable class d or high current amp and wire the subs in parallel.

bobby
okay first thing is all i can get is 4ohm type-s's .... so how do i need to wire it with the amp i have right now? ... i still plan on gettin another amp later on so can you recommend me one? ... thanks a lot ... you've been so much help mexxx

MEXXX
That kinda sucks,the only thing you can do is put one on each channel.How much did you plan on spending on those alpines?Im asking because I know of another speaker thats good in quality and low in price.You can check them out at this link http://7925.adahost.com/computer/index.html?loadfile=catalog22_0.html and see what you think.They also carry them in 12"s.

bobby
hey sry havent been on in a while ... those looked nice but im able to get 2 12" type-s 4-ohm for $180 all together with s&h ... brand new .. factory box ... so what do ya think? .. thanks a lot

MEXXX
Sounds good. Just make sure they are model SWS-1241D. Those are the dual 4 ohm versions.

MEXXX
You should check out these links. Maby you can get a better deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3059187959&category=18803

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3058536464&category=18803

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3058231901&category=18803

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057973550&category=18803
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us