Setting up amp and 1 sub, first time, questions...

Username: Antek250

Post Number: 1
hello, im kinda new to installing a amp and a sub, can install the cd player pretty. np. i just recently got given to me a US usa 4080 80wx4. 4 ohm. now i have been reading alot, but have a few questions, hopfully some one can answer. so i have 1 10" sub (not sure the specs on it), farley weak sub. but if i have my facts right im think i need a 4-8 gage power wire and ground, 500watt cap, and a 12 volt fuse. (80x4 is 360. that is correct way to find the watts?) i understand how to wire them. but i really dont think i need the full amp wiring kit. no extras speakers, amps for anything else, just the one amp , one lil sub, and a jvc deck. any feed back would be helpfull.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5382
The 80w x4 is max wattage. RMS wattage on that amp (I googled it) is 50w x4.

Amperage draw will also depend on how many channels of the amp you're using and the resistance of the speakers hooked up. Since you don't know the specs on the sub, it's impossible to determine. Do you have a brand or anything of the sub? A pic even? In any case, you likely won't need anything heavier than 8 gauge since you'd be pulling about 21 amps even if all channels were hooked up at the amps rated max output.

Post Number: 2
yea its a logitec sub setup lol from a home stero for a comp. i know its nothin specail but for the time being it will work. yea the amp i have has a 35 a fuse, if i have my facts right, i need a 8 gage power wire, and a capacitor and a fuse, other then that i have proprer speaker wire for the sub. the sub is just some peice of garbage. atm i will be useing 1 channel but soon i will have a pair of 12" (not sure what ones i will buy just yet) that i will bridge. but thats later on. ty for replaying.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5383
Yeah, 8 gauge will be fine.

Also, you don't need a capacitor. They're just a marketing scheme. You'll notice none of the reputable car audio companies sell caps, either. While it wouldn't hurt your system (it's not covering up electrical deficiencies), it won't do much, either.

Post Number: 3
ok cool ty, other wise i should still have a fuse? and that is gov. by the fuse on my amp? am i correct? 35 a fuse on the amp. and for the neg/ground, atm i have my deck pluged into the the neg of the bat. that terminals lead has been grounded.

ps i didnt get the manual for this amp lol having a hard time finding it online, if i had it i probably wouldnt be asking these questions
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us