2 Amps, 3 Days, and still got the same problem

Username: Gmurph84

Post Number: 1
I have had a pr1000 memphis amp on 2 rockford p3 12's for 7 months now. No problems whatsoever, this past thursday i am driving home and jamming as usual. The amp turns off and does not come back on when i turn off radio. I check it out and all four 30 amp fuses are blown. When i attempt to replace it blows all 4 again. I go this morning and buy a U.S. Amps Merlin MD3D and it works great for 20 min, then it blows all six 40 amp fuses that it has.. i have a Kinetic HC2400, and 2 gauge power/ground. It is very perplexing to me as to what is happening. i had a guy hook a meter up to it that told me when the unit was clipping and adjusted my max volume to that. Have not had a problem til thursday and it is working at all.... actually started smoking when i replaced fuses on the merlin. Anyone encountered this problem before? any help would be greatly appreciated... i also have a 240 amp breaker up front on car battery

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 987
Sounds like a bad ground possibly. Have you checked them out? Have it grounded directly to the frame? It definately sounds like a resistance issue though. Something to do with wiring somewhere along the way. Also do you have the electrical to support a MD3D? That could maybe play into it.

Post Number: 2
Referring to the wire size? The thing that I don't understand is that I have had no problems for 3 months with the same volume and all same hookups...

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 990
A ground could have came loose over time. Retrace the wires and make sure everything is secure. If they're not already, do a direct ground to the frame in the rear.

Post Number: 3
I did have the kinetic grounded and the amp ran from that.... rained all day yesterday and could not troubleshoot but today I am going to skip battery all together...I just have to get amps repaired on Monday to test... will keep you updated

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11228
You have a short somewhere... inspect the entire power wire especially anywhere it goes thru metal

And don't use those circuit breakers they suck, put a normal fuse in the power line near the battery.

Post Number: 4
K so I found my problem....all wires and the subs were good.... when I hooked up RCA jacks it went into protect..... now it plays fine with a new set of RCA. ...I have never heard of that before but oh well. Back to bass!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us