How can i make this work with my system?

Username: Hfdominic_12

Post Number: 1
I have a type s 10" 4 ohm dvc that will take 300 rms but my amp is an m500 which puts out 500 rms at 2 ohms 300 rms at 4 ohms. i dont think i can wire my sub to 4 ohms so is wiring it to 2 ohms and overpowering it by 200 rms too much??? help!

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 327
For every day stuff yes it would be, you would only want to do something like that for a burp and that's still pushing it. Your best bet would be to get another exact same sub. Then you could run them at 2 ohms and get 250 watts each or get a different amp. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 217
I think it will be okay. Most woofers can handle more than they are rated, as long as it's clean power. When you set your amp gain, rotate it slowly until you hear the speaker start to distort. Once you hear the distortion back the amps gain down a little from that position. Also, no amp is 100% efficient and it was probably rated at 14.4 volts so, since it's not 100% efficient and you'll probably never be running a constant 14.4 volts, that amp will never actually do 500 watts rms. Just be cautious and don't do anything stupid. If your really that worried about it, I would suggest getting another woofer and purchasing the MRP-M1000. Then wire both woofers in series to give you a 4 ohm load on the amp. The MRP-M1000 is rated to do 600 watts rms @ 4 ohm so, ideally this would be a very nice match. In my opinion though, you'll be just fine with what you have now.

Eric, if he gets another exact same woofer then he would have two dual 4 ohm woofers. So, he would only be able to wire them to either a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load. Since the MRP-M500 isn't 1 ohm stable, he would have to run a 4 ohm load and that would only be sending each woofer roughly 150 watts rms.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 968
Couldn't he adjust the gain to do 300 rms and give himself some headroom?

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 219
Yes, if he has a DMM. I really don't think that's necessary though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us