Not using all the channels on an amplifier...

Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 8
Hey there everyone. I have a kind of dumb question about amps. Pretty soon I will be buying an Alpine PDX-5 to power all my speakers in my car. The only problem is, I have a kid on the way and am building my system over time because I am trying not to spend a lot of money at one time, so I am waiting every 3 or 4 months to buy each thing I want for my system. When I actually get the amp, I won't have my sub yet to hook up for the mono channel. Is it bad to run an amp and not utilize all of it's channels? I would like to hook it up and at least power my highs with it until I get the sub woofer I want a couple months later, but I don't want to damage the amp. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has more knowledge than me. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Arangov3

Post Number: 28
it should be fine as long as you don't bridge the channels and over power your speakers and your car alt can hold it own you should be dandy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 9
OK that's cool. I just replaced the alternator a couple of months ago(because the old one died). It is not a HO alternator, but the PDX-5 amp is only 600 watts and I have done the big 3 already, so I think it should be good.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 272
What kind of car? That way we can tell you if you will be okay.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 205
600 watts on a stock electrical system will be fine.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 273
I thought so too Matt, but I have seen some pretty low amps on some stock alternators, just thought he ought to be safe.

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 10
Thanks for all of your input by the way guys. The car is a 1996 Nissan Pulsar X1. It is a Japanese-only model for this generation of the car, but I guess as far as the drivetrain it would be comparable to a Nissan Sentra of the same year in the USA. It kind of looks like a Honda Civic hatchback from that time I guess.

Anyways here is a list of the gear I am running currently, and the other things I plan to buy in a few months:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-105 (already installed)
Front Speakers: Boston Acoustics S50 Components (already installed)
Rear Fill: Boston Acoustics S55 Coaxials (already installed)
Amp: Alpine PDX-5 (I'm going to buy this next month)
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics G312-44 (I plan on buying this in about 3 months and am going to use a sealed enclosure)

I figured with the stock alternator and the big 3 upgrade that I shouldn't have any issues with power, considering the PDX-5 is not a very big amp. So then I should be able to power my front stage and rear fill without having the subwoofer hooked up? Thanks again...

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Eric I wasn't saying your were wrong because you weren't. If it sounded like that than I'm sorry. Your right, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 276
Matt, I never once thought that you sounded like that. Sorry if I came across the wrong way also.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
It's all good!

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 283
Cool. Here too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts