Amp turns on only when i mess with the a/c controls??? plz help?!

Username: Whisper213

Post Number: 1
I got a cutlass and everything is wired right. I got a rockford wiring kit. 4 gauge. Two rockford punch p2's 12" and a rockford p500 -1bd amp. When the car is shut off and I turn the key so just the system is playing, everything works awesome and perfect. But when I turn the car on I gotta mess with the a/c controls. Usually I gotta go full blast on the a/c so the amp plays but then when I shut the a/c off, the amp turns off. And I can be driving and even then the amp turns on and off. What could this be?

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 86
Check your ground connections. Check to see where your remote wire to your amp is connected. Is it connected to your HU or some other 12v power source. Maybe you tapped it into the power source for your a/c controls. If this is so, it makes sense because if the remote is tapped into the a/c's power source then the amp would turn on when the a/c is on and off when the a/c is off. Don't quote me on this but it is just a thought.

Post Number: 2
Well my remote I got it taped with the blue/ white wire coming from the deck. And my ground is in the back seat. If my ground was bad then why would my amp be fine when I turn just the deck on? Or that doesn't matter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
As for the ground, I was just wanting to make sure that you didn't have some sort of straight ghetto setup...no offense but we never know. So, sometimes when people do stupid stuff such as possibly using a 12 gauge wire wrapped around the ground on the HU running to the ground on the amp, dumb sh1t happens. Not saying this is what you did or that your dumb or anything, I've just seen stuff like this before. Hmmmm....man I really don't know? I'm just going to throw this out there...is the blue and white wire the actual remore wire or is that the power antenna? Even if it was on the power antenna I don't really see how that would affect the a/c controls and such, but hey maybe. I'll try doing some research and see what I can come up with to try and help you.

Post Number: 3
Well Idk man. Kus it is an old car n the wiring is kinda ehh. I got the red wire hooked up to an Orange wire coming from the cigarette hook up. And the yellow coming from a yellow wire that's a 12 volt. I checked the blue and white wire n it is for the remote. I had this friend from a friend hook up all the wiring and back then when I had a pioneer deck everything worked fine and now its just a mess with the a/c switch. I don't get why everything is fine when the car is off and I turn just the deck on. The subs bump like they should. The amp works fine. Kinda getting frustrated :/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Okay, you said your red power wire is hooked into you cigarette hook up. Well maybe your cigarette lighter is part of a cluster of other components in your car that are all controlled by the same fuse in your fuse box. Check this in your owners manual. If it is part of a cluster involving the a/c then this makes perfect sense because, that would make the amp only turn on when the a/c is on. If this doesn't work then try just running a wire from the positive terminal on your battery straight to your HU...kind of ghetto but hey it should work, you might just have to manually shut the HU off when you shut off your car.

Post Number: 4
I don't wanna be ghetto Haha. . Even if it is an old car it looks ok. Any other place u recommend to wire the red wire?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Well it's not ghetto if done right. I should of phrased that better sorry. Okay, just get about 10 feet of 14-16 gauge wire and put a ring terminal on one end. Then, run the other end of the wire through your firewall in the vehicle...this shouldn't be to hard since the wire is very thick. Now, just run the wire under the carpet behind your pedals and up behind the dash...pretty much like how you would run rca cables. Next, connect the ring terminal end to your battery. Last, cut the slack on the wire in the dash to make for the shortest distance possible and just connect the new wire to the red wire on your HU. If done right no one will even notice you've did anything.

Post Number: 5
Alright imma see how that works out. So in order for this to work I have to turn on the car then plug it in and unplug it when I get out the car? Imma do it n see how it works out. Thanks Matt. U might be saving me on this one ill write back n see how it goes.

Post Number: 6
My bad man I just checked and I was wrong. The red wire is connected to a yellow wire and the yellow wire from the HU is connected to the Orange wire I told u about. Would it still be the same if I connect the yellow wire that was connected the Orange wire on the cigarret lighter to the extra wire going to the battery or what.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
You don't have to pull anything out. All you will have to do is just manually turn your HU off. Once you do this and you shut your car off you will notice that the HU will still be on, like I said you'll just have to shut the HU off that way it doesn't drain your battery. I would play it safe first and take the HU out of the dash then just connect a wire to your battery and run it inside your door to the HU's red wire and just do a mock. trial to make sure it does the trick because you don't want to possibly go through all this trouble and have it end up not working.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Okay, connect the two yellow wires to each other and connect the new wire to the red wire. This should do the trick for you. Like I said though I would do a mock trial first before actually nicely running the wire through your car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
LOL are you doing this right now?

Post Number: 7
Yea dude I did connect the two yellow wires together and the red to the batt but the amp still won't turn on man wtf. It's pissing me off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
I bet hmm....ok try touching your remote wire to the wire from the battery and see if that will turn the amp on along with the a/c and everything else....if you want man I can give you my cell number and you can give me a call...it would be easier than typing back and forth. Just a thought

Post Number: 8
I was excited that it was gonna work n nope. Nothing. Imma work on it tomorrow morning Kus its getting dark. So what u saying is connect the remote to the cable going to he batt? Along with the red wire connected? So all 3 wires connected? Yea man I can give u a hollar tomorrow Kus its getting dark. Whats ur number bro?

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Yeah that's what I'm saying. It gets frustrating, it's just a bunch of trial and error but we will figure it out. My number is 8126306595, just give me a ring sometime tomorrow and we'll try and solve this dilemma.

Post Number: 9
Alright man yea its frustrating as Hell. The amp.turns on and off its almost the same thing. Idk Wtf is wrong. This never happened before. The amp is new and the deck is fairly new. My number is 509-885-3710 ill give u a txt tomorrow n see if u not busy before calling bro.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Good deal

Post Number: 10
Hey bro I just noticed last night that my alpine head unit makes a quite kinda like a grinding noise when I shut off the car. What's that about?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us