Amp overpowering subwoofer?

Username: Heymistergq

Post Number: 4
I was searching around google and here but couldn't find anything. Was wondering...I have an alpine MRP M1000/1 amp that is 600RMS at 4 ohm/ 1000RMS at 2ohms and 2 12" memphis pr's subwoofer that are dual voice coil rated at 250RMS/500W peak. My question is, am i still able to power up my subwoofers even at 600RMS at 4ohms without hurting them? or could possibly turning down the gain on the amp help out?

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 19
First, are these speakers dual 4 or dual 2? If dual 2 running them in series would give you a 4 ohm load so that would give each sub around 300 watts rms according to the amp specs. you gave. So, 300 rms on a 250 rms speaker should be fine because its not normally over powering that hurts speakers. Just make sure to listen for distortion out of the speakers then back the amp down a little from that point and you should be fine. I personally have been running 1200 rms to a 15' Alphasonik 800 series rated at 1000 rms for over 2 years and I've never had a problem. Just be smart.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13674
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Frank12391

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 20
^^^ yes agreed 100 % You can put more power in your speakers than their rated at. In fact it's a good idea, just gain down your amp so the speaker is not x maxing out / clipping. Remember, maximum undistorted / unclipped power = SQ & more SPL. It's when your amp has not enough power & gained up full sending a clipped signal = blown speakers & overheating amp. I too am running 1200 RMS into 2 x 10" subs rated at 400 RMS each & have done for over 2 years.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13833
typically you can go 40-50% over rated power to the speakers without damage, since the amps are rated at full output to a resistive load with a full spectrum white noise generated tone, and in reality, speakers are an inductive load, suffering from impedance rise, cabin response, dynamic source material, and decreased volume, which translates to decreased power. Realistically you won't see but a fraction of your amp's rated power in daily use.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank12391

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 23
^^^ Yes 100% Ive even seen 100 % over rated power to speakers. Get a multimeter, put in on the terminals of the speaker ( not connected), push the cone up & down & watch the impedance dance up & down from almost a short to way above 20 ohms! With cabin load, A sub with a final load on an amp of 1 ohm rarely goes that low unless you run test tones. But who listens to test tones all day?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us