Is converting 4 ohm to 2 ohm okay?

Robert
I have two rockford 10"s. They are both rated 4 ohms but I plan to do the wiring to make them both 2 ohms. If I do that, will the amount of watts I need go down, they are together 400 watts 4 ohms so I could buy an amp rated 200 x 2 @ 2 ohms, right? Or would the amp just overheat?

MEXXX
Unless you can do magic,you cant turn a 4 ohm sub into a 2 ohm sub.You can parallel them and make one 2 ohm load,but the amp you are talkin about would fry with a 2 ohm mono load.Unless you just dont know how to describe things and they are dual voice coil subs.Im guessing they are the rfp3410's.In which case I stand with what I just said

Anonymous
reason why they will blow is due to the fact that when you bridge one speaker on a woofer at running for ohms, the amp sees 2...
so when ever bridging 2 4ohm woofers, the amp sees 1ohm. that can cause a lot of distortion or overheating, depending on the amp you use

Unregistered guest
i have a bose system that puts out 2 ohm, but i bought some 4 ohm 6x9's for the rear, how, if possible, can i convert that, or will it work without one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us