Contemplating boss NX1800.1 pushing 1 type r 12" SWR-1242D

Username: Jmcaninch

Post Number: 1
can anybody give me some insight on how much rms i can realistically expect from this amp? Will it adequately push the type r?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13269
too much power. the type R only needs about 500 watts RMS.

The BOSS amplifier isn't a very good amp, if you care at all. The power supply in it is woefully inadequate for it's rated power, and the fusing in the amplifier is insufficient for it's claimed power output, meaning it will never deliver it's rated power in reality. That aside, without an upgraded electrical system in your car, you'd never supply enough current to feed that much current draw, anyway.

Fine a nice 500-600 watt RMS x 1 @ 2 ohm class D amplifier instead. Audioque, Sundown, whatever. Something that can actually double the power output at half the load is an indication of an adequate power supply in the amplifier. This will result in an amp that can produce enough power for peak transient demands to avoid clipping and damaging your sub.

Your sub is rated to ahndle 500 watts continuously, and it's dual 4 ohm coils. The "1500 watt" rating is simply a momentary burst rating of how much heat the coils can take without melting.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13270
By the way, your attitude when asking for help is coming across as being a bit pissy and that's generally not taken well by others. It leaves many people in a less than helpful mood when responding.

Post Number: 2
I don't mean to come off like that, but i've read alot on these forums. One thread in particular comes to mind, a thread where someone asked if boss audio made decent amps. Seemed as if the whole thread turned into a 50 response rant and bash on different low end car audio companies. That is all i was trying to avoid. :D Just looking for some straight advice. :D and the reason i thought that amp may work is because it IS so cheap. i figured it would never put out its expected rms, but maybe something around 900. I've heard of type r's taking 1000 rms of clean power, and i'm really just trying to maximize it's potential for a minimal price. and again, apologies for the misunderstanding. I do appreciate any input.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13276
No problem. Here's the thing; A type R *can* take 1Kw of clean power, yes, depending on the box design. Some enclosures can increase the mechanical power handling of a driver, and the Type R is a durable, tough sub. You don't typically need that much power to reach full excursion with the sub, though. The other thing to note is clean power, chich gets back to what I said about the power supply on the BOSS amplifier. You get what you pay for with amplifiers, seriously. The reason good amplifiers cost so much, is because they have good, massive power supplies in them, which are heavy, and expensive to produce. They have large toroids, huge capacitors, and pulse width modulation and tight regulation. It's a lot to sink into the amp, so it costs. The result though, is as I mentioned, the amp's ability to produce as much as three times it's rated power for brief sudden peak demands, which are critical, and common components of most music today. Especially in car audio systems with big subs, and lots of bass turned far beyond what would be typically a "flat" response.

If you want a better quality amplifier without spending too much, perhaps try www.audioque.com and look at the AQ1200D. 1200 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, $249 shipped. A/V isn't a cheap hobby, sadly.

Post Number: 3
The type r will be sitting in a ported box built to alpine specs, if that changes anything. Before i thought amps were amps and it didn't particularly matter, but it's starting to come into perspective what exactly you're saying. I will look into the amp you suggested. Another question; I've seen alot of people running single alpine 12"s with the alpine mrp-m500. Would this amp really maximize the type r's potential? To be completely honest, i don't think my ears are yet trained enough to know clean crisp bass, all they know is LOUD. and I would love to push my type r to its limits, safely of course. If you have any suggestions at all let me know.

Post Number: 4
What's your take on this amp with the r, glasswolf or other?

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7502/BXI-1210D--Hifonics-1200W-1-Channel-Mono-Block-A mplifier.htm

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13284
HiFonics is OK. Not "great" but definitely "good"

As for the box, I'd go 2.2 cubic feet, and slot port the box, tuned to 28Hz.
That'll give high output, increased mechanical power handling, and it will hit deep and resonate, so it's great for musicality. Very good ported design for daily use.

The thing to note about power is that power is the worst way to get more volume from a speaker. a speaker's mechanical efficiency is about 5%. That means for every 100 watts of power put into a speaker, you get about 5 watts back in sound. Using speakers with a high sensitivity rating will yield more output per watt. Sound deadening a car will help a lot too, by improving the efficiency of the car cabin too, wasting less energy vibrating metal or being heard outside the car, and using that energy to make sound inside the car.
Keep in mind, double the power to a speaker increases the audible volume +3dB. It's noticeable, but (remember the decibel is a log scale, and relative, it's not linear and absolute.) not double the volume.)
To double the audible volume (+10dB) this requires an increase in power of tenfold. That's going from 100 watts to 1000 watts. See now why bigger amplifiers don't always mean that much? Someone going from a 2000 watt amp to a 2500 watt amp would barely notice any change in audible output.

Here's a very brief, and iceberg-tip scraping sample of the basics of a car audio amplifier. It will help you to at least get a grasp of the basics of what's involved in building a good amp. I wrote this because people are always asking these sort of questions. It saves a lot of repeating myself.
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/amplifiers.html

That alpine amp is a great match to a Type R by the way. I've matched them up before myself.

Post Number: 5
wow. I'm not sure where to begin taking in this much information, but I'm going to give it a shot, because I would love to learn more. Based on your input i'm thinking my best shot might be the mrp-m500. We'll see how it goes. [=
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us