Monoblock or 2 channel amp

Username: Eddie19cortez

Post Number: 2
I have 2 15" kicker L7 2ohm dvc I want to power them as much as I can. I already have a 4 channel amp. so I would prefer a monoblock put don"t know how to install 2 subs into 1 channel. .I have a 92 accord stock alternator so I don't know what is the max rms power I can get so that the battery does not die on me. Any suggestions on any parts or on install?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13248
find a mono amp that offers about 1000-1500 watts RMS (not max) @ 2 ohms

On each sub, wire the coils in series. This will result in a 4 ohm load per sub.

Some amps have two pair of speaker terminals for wiring two subs to a mono amp. If yours does not, just wire both subs to the amp. positive terminals to the positive terminal on the amp, and negatives to the neg terminal on the amp.

easy as that

Username: Eddie19cortez

Post Number: 3
Thanks for da help. So basically have 2 positive wires(one from each sub) and 2 neg. wires into the positive and to the negative terminal in the amp? Also why would it be better to put a 4ohm load on the amp if you get better rms watts if its 2ohm? I made a mistake on the subs they are dual 4ohm wired down to 2 ohm. ALso do you think I will damage my car if I put more than 1500 watts rms on it?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13271
If you have two S15L7 subs that are each wired to a 2 ohm load, just get an amp rated for about 1500 watts RMS x 1 channel @ 1 ohm.
That'll drive each sub @ 750 watts which is about all the L7 is rated to accept continuously.

The only advantage to running a lower ohm load is more power per dollar spent. The disadvantages are a higher THD, lower S/N ratio, more heat, and so forth. All of the amplifier's specs get worse at a lower load. The reality though, is that you can't audibly hear most of those differences, so running a sub amp at 1 ohm should be just fine.

As for damage to the car, you will, at 1500 watts, probably need a new high output alternator. You will probably eventually damage the stock alt, since it can't supply the 50A of current (approximately) to run the car plus the 150A the amplifier is going to need in addition, since stock alternators put out about 65-100A total, on average. You'll also cause the amplifier to clip, which will damage the subs, too. This is often what kills subs. Insufficient current due to inadequate charging systems, or the amp gain turned up too far to compensate for a lack of power.

As for how to wire the subs to the amp, yes you just run the positive terminal from one pair of coils on each sub, to the positive terminal of the amplifier, then do the same for the negative terminal of one coil on each sub to the neg terminal on the amp.
you only need to wire one pair of coils per sub to the amplifier, ad the other pair of coils will get signal from being bridged to the other coils.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us