Need help!

Username: Roryee

Post Number: 2
i recently bought a p100bd amp along with 2 12 inch kicker cvr subs in a slot ported box which the amp blew the subs every time i turned the gain alittle passed 3 i replaced them through the warranty and they blew out again now i have 2 12 inch memphis subs not really sure what model but in a enclosed box but i dont want to blow these ones out what should i do? how should i tune my amp?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13238
the gain isn't a volume knob. it's used to match the line voltage of the head unit to the input stage of teh amplifier.
you turned the gain up too far, over-drove the input stage of the amplifier, which in turn caused the amplifier to clip, sending DC voltage to teh speakers, causing the coils to overheat and fry, and probably fray due to the coils rubbing along the magnet structure when the sub was held at Xmax and lost linearity.
This was probably then augmented by an insufficient current supply from a stock automotive charging system that further caused the amplifier to clip at high output levels, yet again, causing more damage to the speakers.

If it's not loud enough, don't f*** with the gain. Buy a bigger amplifier, and upgrade your charging system (HO alternator, deep cycle battery, and big 3 upgrade, along with sufficient amplifier wiring kit using at least 4AWG wire for power, and grounding the amp to bare chassis metal.)

Username: Roryee

Post Number: 3
so what should i do to match things up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us