Gain Setting

Silver Member
Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 233
Alright.. so i have a question.. I used a 50hz tone at 0db from two different websites and i set my amp using one of them.. then i played the other one to see what the ac voltage would be and it was 3 volts higher than when i had used the other one.. but they were at the same volume.. why is this.. and should i set my amp differently.. i played some songs on it at this setting and the amp never reached the ac voltage that i had it set to on the 50hz tone on any of them..

And also this might be kinda hard to understand cause i dont know how to word it.. but.. if i set my amp to put out 40 ac volts to the sub so that it doesnt clip.. then as long as a song doesnt play more than 40 volts thru the amp to the sub then the sub wont clip? no matter the hertz?

sorry if i'm confusing..

Also if i am correct on the second question.. then is there a sensor or something i can get to let me know when my amp is putting out more than 40 volts to the sub??

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13031
if one was an MP3, it was compressed audio, which isn't 100% accurate.
also note that the decibel is a relative unit. One may have been off. You can't really rely on free stuff you find on the internet, after all.

Really if you want an accurate test tone, use a real tone generator, not a WAV file you downloaded from a random google search.

Silver Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 234
oh alright.. well.. do you think you could help me set my gain to get the most out of my sub and amp without damaging either.. because currently all i've done is gotten a test tone from realm of excursion of 50hz at 0db and set the amp to put out 40 ac volts as stated..

I dont know if my amp is under or over rated.. It's an alpine mrp-m850 on a RD Sonance V2 15"

Someone told me to use a 50 hz tone at -4 or -6 db to set it for daily applications.. I just dont know what to do..

Silver Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 235
do you think you could also answer my second question.. is that right.. or wrong..

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13047
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm
clipping explained in very nice detail.

http://www.bcae1.com/settinggainswithscope.htm
proper gain setting.

Silver Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 236
you... are soooo more helpful than many of the other people i have talked to.. good info on bcae1.com.. bookmarked thank you

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13054
bookmark their homepage at www.bcae1.com

the whole site is a gem to have. I own the site and amp repair guide on CD. The owner, Perry Babin, is a great guy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us