Multiple amps

Username: Nr7286

Post Number: 1
I have a 09 lancer that came with a rockford 10" in it and I recently installed my system from my other car, 2 dual 12"s on a 1200w sony amp. The problem I have is that the sony amp goes on protect if I have the bass levels more than 1/3 the way up on the head unit (regardless of settings on the amp itself) and the only way the rockford 10 really puts out sound is if I have it up higher than this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? maybe reduce the audio signal to the sony amp somehow? thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12906
my best suggestion is getting rid of the really low quality gear. namely the sony and dual junk.
That siad, go with either the dual 12" or the single 10". don't overcomplicate the setup. don't try to use both.
if the amp is going into protect, these will be the reasons:
gain on amp is too high (should be below 1/2 way up)
ground is bad
power cable from the battery is too small
alternator isn't strong enough to supply ample current for the amp.
any combination of the above

Username: Nr7286

Post Number: 2
yea probably a good idea. it still seems wierd to me though how with the bass level turned down on my head unit I can turn the volume way up and it hits real hard with no problems, but with the bass level turned up it goes on protect at a very low volume with the subs barely putting out any sound at all

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 520
If you're really serious about a system I'd say take out all the stock items and re-run all new wires, then get good quality amps and subs. Save the money and do it right the first time, even in steps if you have to. Find out what size alt is on your car and that will let you know how much power you can run before having to do any upgrades to the electrical. The key is quality over quantity. One good 12 on the right amount of clean power, in a well built enclosure will sound far better than 2 cheaper 12s and a random 10 inch sub.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12913
Nate, this really sounds like you're overdriving the input stage of teh amplifier. turn the amp gain DOWN.

also, one of the reasons sony is considered crap, is because their amps are notorious for failing within the first year, by going into protect mode, and usually never coming back out.

Username: Callmemrbunnz

Post Number: 4
my cousin had a few burnt out mosfets on his amp and it would go into protect when youd turn it up over half way. ive ran a song 600watt on a couple of vega 12s with an eq and it actually sounded pretty clean and loud. alot is to do with your setup. also does it do this with both setups of subs? is the 10 dual or single ohm cuz i know the sony amps r usually 4ohm mono

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12953
why are you digging up old threads?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us