What amp to go with these 12" memphis?

Username: Heymistergq

Post Number: 1
I'm fairly new with the car audio hobby. I have 2 12" memphis power reference subwoofers, which are rated at 250rms/500W peak with a dual 4ohm. I'm trying to find an amp for it. I was thinking about a Rockford Fosgate P1000 amp, or go with a Precision Power Model D1000/1? Any suggestions...

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 20
I would possibly look into something with a little less power. The P1000 will put out a continuous 1000 watts at a 1 ohm load in which your subwoofers cannot handle. I dont think it is necessary to purchase such a powerful amplifier and only let it perform at half of its capabilities. Try a smaller model. maybe the P700 or even the P500 if you want to stick with Rockford.

Bronze Member
Username: Bloodforge

Post Number: 18
the PPI D1000/1 puts out 500RMS @1ohm. 1000 peak.

So the D1000 would probably work.
I dunno about the quality of the newer PPI Amps tho.

Username: Heymistergq

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply guys. But I was planning to get a 1000w amp in case of a future upgrade on subwoofers down the road. But With the Rockford 1000w or PPI 1000w, i was planning to go 2 ohm and use about half the power for both the 12" memphis? But is it best to go 1 ohm and get a smaller wattage amp? I mean, people are always telling me "Better to over power then under power". Inputs?

Oh, and that PPI amp is also my number 1 choice. But i could get the rockford for a little less $$...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us