Subsonic Filter and general amp setup

Bronze Member
Username: Bloodforge

Post Number: 14
Ok so, after doing some bidding on eBay, I managed to come up with
These amps:
Infinity Reference 475a
Infinity Reference 1600a mono amp x2
Managed to get all 3 amps for under 200 with shipping, all dent and ding models, just received them today and all seem to be working great from bench testing.

Planning on running the 2 1600a's to my 2 atomic 12's, which are 500rms so i'm figuring it will work well. The amps push 600rms @2ohm, and subs are DVC 4ohm.

Now my question is these mono amps do not having built in subsonic filters. So trying to figure out what my best options are for setup.

I plan on setting them up with the main rca's from subout on headunit to one, then using the line out rca's on amp to connect to the second mono amp.

Also about power cable, will 4 gauge be sufficient to run both?
Or should I do a new run with 1/0?
And what size inline fuse should I be looking at? they have triple 25a fuses in each.
Way power is wired atm is, 1 6gauge run for the 4 channel, and another 4 gauge run I had on my old fosgate P500a2.

Doing the Big 3 this weekend, 200a Alt ordered should be here Monday. Still need to find a good battery, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12878
to run all 3 amplifiers (two for subs, one for full range?) I'd go 2 or 1/0 gauge from the battery, then split at the dist block to 4 or 8 ga. wire to each amp.

For the inline fuse under the hood, just use a 200A fuse. The purpose of that fuse is to protect the car from catching fire if you get a dead short, like the wire dropping on the car chassis. Get a fused distribution block, then size the fuse for each amp accordingly. If the amp has 3x25A then you want a 75A fuse in the dist block on that output, etc.

As for the SSF, you can buy a bass blocker RCA level model from some place like crutchfield. It's just an in-line RCA adapter that acts as a subsonic filter at a set frequency. Get one that's set to about the tuned frequency of your ported sub box. If your box is sealed, you don't need the SSF.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks for the advice glasswolf, much appreciated.

I've been searching like hell for the inline filters, but I can't seem to find them, maybe i'm possibly searching for the wrong thing? I dunno.

And yeah they are going in a ported box tuned @31hz

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12892
http://www.google.com/products?q=bass+blockers&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:of ficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Kq_AS4OZPMb_lgfZ5ozbBA&sa=X&oi=product_ result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCcQrQQwAg

Stinger and PAC

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thank you very much

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hmm was thinking, I'm ditching my rear fill, as I don't really like it to well, doesn't sound right to me. Now I was thinking couldn't I run the sub preouts off the rear set of rca's and just set the highpass xover on the headunit to 30hz and use the lowpass xover built into the amps?
If I went this route what slope would I want to use on the xover? 18db? 24db? slope options are 6/12/18/24 I beleive.
Would this degrade sound at all? or should I just stick with getting some inline filters? I found a set on ebay for 25. that was set for 30hz and looked basically like a rca barrel connector.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Forget I even asked that question, just tried it, and it sounded like crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us