I need to know if any of these amps are good..

Bronze Member
Username: Andy614

Post Number: 24
Lanzar 3000W

Boss D800.2/D8002 2-Ch 1600 Watt

Legacy 1000 Watt

PYLE PLA2378 2000W

SONY XPLOD XM1652Z 2 CH 1000 W

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 268
There all low quality amps. Id suggest you look into something better. What subs do you have? Are they dual 2 or dual 4 ohm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
dual 4 ohm.. but im only spending like $120

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 389
Well for the money, you may luck out and find a decent used one.. I'd suggest saving your money and get a decent amp. The problem with the above listed amps, and others like them, is they do not do their rated power nor are they very efficient. If you have low budget subs however, you may want to run with a low budget amp so you don't damage your woofers.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12557
yup. all of those amps are pretty much junk.
with a budget that tight, look at used amplifiers on CL or eBay, or for sale sections of audio forums.

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 30
just dont get the boss amp i just got one and had to send it back, now im waiting on my AQ stuff,

but sometimes you can get lucky.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Ok well I'm not competting or anything lol I just want it to be loud and sound pretty good at the same time. And yes unfortunately I do have low budget subs (dual) but they're 600 RMS watts. I make sure about the RMS always! so are these amps alright for what I have or what?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12589
well the thing about an amp is, to be loud and clean, it needs a really beefy power supply to handle sudden high current demands. The power supply subsequently, is one of the expensive parts to building the amp.
here's a bit of a primer on amplifiers if it helps:

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/amplifiers.html

Username: Soufeyez812

Post Number: 1
OK out of all those the SONY XPLOD would be the best choice but like everyone said you get what you pay for...

goto craigslist or eBay you can get a good amp alot cheaper....

get either a jl audio or a Rockford Fosgate amplifier they are the 2 best brands out there...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I got these from ebay... i want close to 1000 watt rms..

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12610
I'd really avoid Sony amplifiers. I see their failure rate at under 1 year to be tremendous.

Why do you need 1Kw of power from an amp? I used 2 12" subs (built in 1989 mind you) in a large ported enclosure, and drove them with an Orion 280GX (80 watts RMS x 2ch. @ 4 ohms) and was reaching over 140dB with music CDs. (not burping with test tones)

People seem to have this idea that they need thousands of watts to have a system loud enough to cause hearing damage for the rest of their lives. Not the case at all.

Also, if you do go for 1+Kw of power, also be prepared to buy a high output alternator, battery isolator, at least 2 additional batteries, and a lot of 0 gauge power line, power distribution blocks, fuse blocks, and so forth.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
oh. i didnt know about all of that lol do you recomend any good, decently cheap) amp for me where i dont need extra batteries and all of the other stuff? i want it to be loud and deep. im thinking i might have to buy a new ipod reciever. mine now is dual and im coming to realize dual sucks..

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12633
alpine and pioneer have some really nice head units that are surprisingly affordable these days.

I don't know what sub(s) you're using, so it's hard to suggest a specific amp, but I can tell you that the sub box will make a huge difference in output. I'd suggest you consider a ported box, and make it toward the large end of the recommended volume range for the box size. Then use 4" ID ports, and tune them to about 34-35Hz. It'll hit hard, and deep.

That said, any DEI owned company will offer a good amp at a decent price for subs. Look at Orion, PPI, a/d/s, Viper, Directed (all DEI) or even Kicker or MTX. RF isn't bad either.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ok well right now i have 2 12 inch dual subs in a sealed box..

Bronze Member
Username: Kissdaredevil

Post Number: 79
legacy, pyle, and boss are definately junk
lanzar makes some decent stuff but not the greatest
I am actually currently running a sony 1200w and have had good luck with it, but with sony it's a hit and miss.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12647
yup. sony is a big, big crap shoot. sorry. I see SO many of their amps fail.
"help! my sony amp protection light came on and it doesn't work now!"
same story every time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
ok thats good to know because up until now i thought they were really good

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12652
I have been told that their new product line is supposed to be much improved, and it may be. I'm so wary after years of failure, that I honestly haven't tried them again, so maybe they are better now.
I'll admit that I haven't seen the newest stuff much yet.

I miss their old mobile ES line, too. That stuff was really nice.. hard to find now though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us