Bought bigger subs now inline fuse to battery is blowing.any help???

Username: Daniec86

Post Number: 1
i have a 4800 watt amp 2400/2 it was running to my previous subs that were 2 rockford fosgate p1 12's not bridged.i recentley bought 2 12 inch pioneer champion series subs peak power 1400 watts and i also bridged the amp.when i listen to them with the car on at a volume in the 20's to 40's its fine but once i hit like 4}6 it will play for about 15 min.and then the inline fuse blows and i have to replace it.it never did this with my previous speakers so im thinking i need a bigger amp.can anyone please hel[p me out.THANKS!!!

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 366
You are pulling more juice now with the amp bridged which in turn is pulling more power than the fuse is built to handle. Another issue could be the guage wire you are using is too small for the current flow running through it. If you're running a 4800 watt amp I hope you atleast have 4 guage wire, but in reality should be running 1/0 guage. The fuse should be atleast 120A if not higher. You also want to make sure your gain is set correctly.

Post Number: 2
what should my gain be at???

Post Number: 3
i have another question the guy i bought the amp from said it is an 1800 watt amp but like i said it says 2400/2 on the side of it so is it a 1800 or 4800 watt amp???

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 371
What is the name and model number? Do you have the manual to it?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12476
most likely you either have a short in your wiring somewhere, or more likely, you have the input sensitivity (gain) turned too far up on the amps, causing them to clip, and causing the fuses to blow.

Post Number: 4
i dont have the manual but its called a OBAM and i checked the 4800 out on the net and it shows the same numbers on the side which are 2400/2.and i checked the gain and it is in the center.

Post Number: 5
do i really need 1/0 gauge wireing to support this? i am running 8 gauge right now.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12484
turn the gain down one quarter turn, and see if that helps.

here's the answer to your question:
you got taken. It's a $70 250 watt amp.

Power Output

* Max Power: 2400 Watts
* 2 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan. RMS
* 4 ohms: 80 watts x 2 chan. RMS
* Bridged @ 4 ohms: 250 watts x 1 chan. RMS

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2400-WATT-2-1-CHANNEL-AMP-CAR-AUDIO-SUB-AMPLIFIER_ W0QQitemZ200446969015QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item2eab9204b7

the 8awg wire is probably fine, but I would give serious thought to 1. going to 4awg, and 2. going to a better amp when you save up some money.

Look at real, well-made amps, like DIE companies (Orion, Viper, A/D/S) or even older used amps on eBay like Orion and Rockford Fosgate.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12485
I also forgot to mention, RMS power is the only rating that matters for an amplifier when it comes to power output. "max" "peak" "PMPO" are all made up numbers that aren't any indication of what the amp actually produces. The only way that 250 watt amp could put out 4800 watts is if it got struck by lightning.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 259
^lol You are my hero!

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12497
typo. I meant to say DEI not DIE.
DEI is Directed Electronics Inc.
They own Orion, PPI, a/d/s, Viper, Directed, and others.

Post Number: 6
thanks man. so then basically the amp is blowing that inline fuse???

Post Number: 7
now im really pissed the damn amp went into protection mode even after i lowered my gain. so im going shopping saturday.so GLASSWOLF school me man what do i need from A to Z to support these speakers???

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12506
well I'd run at least 4AWG wiring.. positive straight off the battery and ground to chassis by sanding off the paint where you plan to bolt down the ground wire so it's to bare metal. keep the ground line short if you can. less chance of noise that way, and the shorter the wiring (whole circuit) the less it's going to heat up so the smaller the wire has to be.

I'd put a voltmeter on the wiring when the amp is in use and see if the voltage is dropping below about 11.8VDC. If it is, you may want to look at upgrading the "big 3" along with a larger battery and consider a bigger alternator as well.

take it one step at a time. upgrade what you need to, when it's needed.

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11031
best way to do it^^^^^

starting with the big 3!!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 385
I'm doing the big 3 today :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »