Help on Choosing the best AMP!

Username: Ohmasto

Post Number: 1
Hello all I am having trouble picking out the best amp for my soon to be system!

I just got a 323ci and am deciding on ordering

Alpine SPR-17s ( 110W/Chan )
Alpine SPS-600c (80w)
Alpine SWR-1242D (500w)

I am pretty clueless on picking the best amp to power this system. I am looking for an amp that won't die out on me and will have enough juice so I won't have any problems later on. What are your suggestions and specifications on the best amp? Thanks!

Matt

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 367
Alpine makes great amps. Look at one that will give you 500 rms at the ohm load you need. If your sub is dual 4 ohm, you need 500 rms at a 2 ohm load. They're fairly reasonably priced online and will hold up well for you.

Post Number: 2
Should I get one amp for my sub, and another for my speakers? Or would it be better to just get one amp for all? If possible I would really appreciate if someone can give me a model because I am looking to buy all this tomorrow morning

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12475
you'll want one amp (2 or 4 channel) for the cabin speakers (depending on if you really want rear speakers or not. personally I don't believe in using them unless it's to shut people up in the back seat.)
you'll also want a separate 1-channel "sub amp" (class D) for the subwoofer(s).
low bass frequencies are all mono anyway so a one channel amp does bass just fine.

for the cabin speakers, look for something about 45-65 watts per channel at 4 ohms.
For the sub(s) it will depend on the sub(s) you choose, but generally around 500-800 watts RMS @ 2 ohms is a good place to look.

Post Number: 3
Also.. What other specifications should the amp have? Should i get a 2/4 channel amp? Class? Optimal watts?

Thanks!

Matt

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12477
for the 2 or 4 channel amp, class AB is really ideal, but for lower power use/more efficiency, a full range class T amp works pretty well too.
chances are you probably couldn't tell the two apart in a moving car anyway.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the great insight..Thinking about it the Alpine SPR speakers in the front should be enough for a coupe

So far im looking at
PDX-1.6 600W mono... pretty pricey though trying to look for an alternative if the quality won't suffer much
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ALPPDX1.600&ref=pricegrabberALPPDX1.60 0

and
still looking for the best amp for the speakers..
http://ikesound.com/kenwood_kac_7204

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12487
honestly, $235 is a great price for a 600 watt quality amp. and that's a sweet looking amp :-)

I'd skip kenwood. I really do not like their amplifiers. especially their lower end non-excelon stuff.

this is a much much better amp:
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ALPPDX2.150

also you can look at Orion and PPI. They have cheaper alternatives for 2-channel amps.

Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 10
TXi 6408 2/4 channel amp.

good price too, $165.95 U.S.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us