Opinions on my Plan

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 72
Ok as of right now i will be running 2 12" Sony Xplods. They are the 350 RMS subs. I will be running them with 1 MTX 311D which can put out 155 x 2 @ 2 and 310 x 1 @ 2. My plan is to later on down the road swap out my subs for 2 12" Cerwin Vega V-MAXs
and buy another MTX 311D. I would run each V-MAX off of 1 MTX and have ecah sub maxed out its RMS of 300 Watts. I would buy the 4ohm DVC and hook each sub into a 2ohm load to get the 310 RMS out of the amps. Would this sound better than the 2 Sonys with the two amps? Im pretty srue they would. And would there be a better choice in subs for these amps ?? Thanks

-DUff

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 352
If i was you i wouldnt even bother to swap out everything later. Just by the vegas first and install two MTX AMPs. You mine as well do it now. Because you wont get what you paid for out of those sonys unless you sell them to a dumb a*s. Just wait and you will be happy.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 353
Oh, yeah. If you do decide to not take my advice then just make sure you install/ run wiring for two amps. That way you only got to do it once.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 275
I fully agree with Patrick. John you will be much more happy if you hold on for a little longer and get the Cerwins then hook up everything. I myself have mixed good stuff with bad stuff and you end up with total crap. I've found that its best to do everything at one time so you don't have problems later. I also think you are making a great choice for the amps I just bought the same amp and put it in my wife's car with one Cerwin V-max 12 and it sounds GREAT. Good Luck with your system.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 73
awsome JayJ. Well the thing is I already have the Sonys. I cannot sell these and come up with enough cash for the V-Maxs in a short amount of time. Im 17 and about to start football so I dont have much time to work then. Probably this winter I will get the V-Maxs and another MTX. Also what size box would I need for the Sonys and the Cerwin Vegas?

Thanks. Also how do these subs stack up against some of the better ones?? Thanks

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 76
wierd question but how would you pronounce the Cerwin Vega name? I am thinking -Sir-Win-Vay-Ga

haha sorry its late but i was wondering ;)

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 279
Yeah you got the name right lol. I have my V-maxs in their own 1cf sealed box with 1 pound of polyfill with each speaker. This same box should sound decent with the sonys but I don't know. But one thing is for sure try your best to do the best install you can do. This will help extend the life of the sonys. Also be sure to take it easy on them as they WILL blow pretty easy. And about the comparing the Cerwins I haven't really tested them against very many other subs besides my Kicker CompVRs And they put those to shame. But of course I have compared them with some peoples Legacys, Sonys and other small sorry companies. And I CAN tell you first hand that it was NO comparison to the Cerwins. You should be more then happy with them. Good Luck

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3708
yup.
|sur`-win| |vay`-guh|

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 78
haha thanks for the names and the info. what all are you talking about when you say to do the BEST INSTALL i can do so it will extend the life? Is that hooking everything up correct? what all does that consist of? thanks

also i have a question about grounds. grounds are supposed to be shorter than 12 inches i am told. if i have 2 amps should i just ground them seperately shorter than 12" or should I send them to a distro block and ground that shorter than 12" ??? thanks

also the amps are either going to be mounted on the back of the sub box (trying to stay away from that) or opposite corners of the trunk. thanks

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 80
also glass what do you think about the V-MASs compared to other subs around its price range like the Shiva or Type Rs maybe or w0 or w3s. Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3715
the shiva would be a consideration but the VMAX is a very nice sub. I think you'd be happy with them.

ground the amps straight to bare metal. no need to use a distro block for ground points. and yes they can be done separately.

good install.. good box design and construction, solid amplifier mounting job, clean wiring.. stuff like that. sloppy work results in things like bad connections, wires getting yanked out or mixed up, leaky enclosures that cause damage to the drivers.. that sort of thing.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 82
ok awsome. thanks glass. i just find it hard to believe sometimes that a sub i can get for below 100 with only 300RMS can outdo most subs like shivas, type-rs (more expiencive and more RMS), and some others but im really excited. also i have never heard some C-V so thats kinda bad but i will test these suckers out! also i am very interested in having a good clean install anyway!! i want this stuff to look good and last a long time. my only problom may be the box. it is quite a few years old and i dont even know what it is made out of. some kind of wood. i will measure it soon. also the wiring i will all do myself but i am going to try to do it all clean with the wires hidden and the amp mounted strong so no wires are yanked on or anything like that

problom i have is space to mount amps while still being able to put things in my trunk. i have a 93 nissan maxima with a decent trunk but a big box for 2 12"s. any help would be great. thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3722
if ya want to buy a new pre-made box, take a look at www.bigdogcaraudio.com
he has loads of boxes. already in carpet or vinyl, and from 3/4" MDF with gold terminals.
decent stuff for cheap.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 83
on the Cerwin Vega site it does not have a rating for what size boxes to put the subs in. What size do you think would be best for sealed. Also what is the difference between sealed and ported and bandpass. Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3732
for a sealed 12" sub, between 1.0 to 1.3cu ft per sub sealed.
box differences:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

easier than repeating everything that fine gentleman already took the time to write.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 86
thanks ur great glass

always such a helper!

if you were a woman i would do you ;) hahah sry local inside humor

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 87
ok tell me if im correct please

ported boxes give better SPL beacause they can have more power and also hit lower frequncies.

sealed boxes give more room and better transient response. i understand the more room but what is transient response???

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3741
actually got that a bit mixed up.
ported boxes have better transient response (faster subs) because they don't have to work as hard to compress the air in the box. it just gets forced out the port.
a ported box is more efficient, so it is about +3dB louder tahn sealed, but below the tuned port frequency, the roll off of the sub is severe so a sealed box actually hits more deeply as it can play flat down to about 9Hz when you factor in something called cabin gain, which compensates for roll off on a sealed box below the cabin's transfer point. (math stuff)

if you want a tight accurate response, without any coloration stick to sealed. also saves space.
if you want more SPL and a more punchy bass, go with ported. tune the box to about 35Hz and it'll sound like it hits very hard and deep.

Unregistered guest
Hey Guys. I just would like to know something. I got a 4 channel 1500w amp. I got one pair of 6x9's running of the front 2 channels and 2 900w subs bridged connected in serie. All speakers are 4-ohm. Is this connection ok?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3792
sure, as long as the subs are wired in series on the bridged channels if they are each 4 ohms, single coil.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us