How do i improve the SQ

Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 1
GDay all
Just bought a 1995 Holden Jackaroo V6 4x4 with a Pionneer DEH-7650 HU, Response 4 x 100wrms amp, Pioneer TS-c1625 component speakers up front and TS-e1695 3 ways fitted to the rear doors.
The amp is running all 4 speakers on the front channels (2ohms) with the rear channels bridged to run a Response 12" sub (2 x 8ohm coils)
The install looks ok with thick speaker wire, sound proof in doors and 4 gauge power cable.

My problem is with the SQ, it goes loud with plenty of bass slam from the sub, but up front the sound is very harsh and becomes annoying after a while, it gets a bit muddled up at high volumes too
I cant aford to change the whole system in one hit and it certainly would not have been my choice, but where do you guys think I should start to improve the SQ first, amp speakers etc even differant configeration !
Been reading some of Glasswolf stuff and on the weekend may put a 25w 8ohm resistor on the rear speakers this should lower the volume in the back and take the load off the amp.

I listen to mostly rock
I have been looking at a JL amp, but in OZ they are $900 so it will most likely be the cadence Z400 4 ch at $530

any apinions accepted

Bronze Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 98
there are plenty of amp companies out there.

Kicker 04kx650.4 = 170W X 4 @ 2 ohms $349
Rockford Fosgate 551x = 140W X 4 @ 2 Ohms $299
Orion 8004 = 200W x 4 @ 2 Ohms $359
PPI DCX 600.4 = 150W X 4 @ 2 Ohms $399

All good amp companies and with cheaper prices than the cadence, so you can afford to replace the spekers too.

All the prices listed are from one site you can probably find them for cheaper other places.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Grmncrsnbr
I will change the front speakers and amp as the HU seems quite good having 3 rca pre outs and full bass/sub management, any sugestions on what speakers to buy, 6" will fit in the norm but 6.5" will need pods made as it takes out the moulded door trim ? that may be why these speakers where fitted in the first place.

Regards Graeme

Post Number: 6
Just to give you a bit more info
under the front passanger seat is a 12 cd stacker, the drivers set has been modified to accept the amp and moves forward and back with the seat (over the hump) nice heater ? The sub is removeable buy way of a cannon connector for 4 wheel driving or to carry big loads.
I like the idea of having the one 4ch amp under the seat out of the way but then the sub will be running from the same amp (rear channels bridged) is this ok or does the sub have a tendancey to suck/effect the front channels.
The system has a typical japanese sound, when its turned up gets very hard and harsh and after a while you are reaching for the volume knob to turn back it down !

Regards Graeme

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 685
Installation is 90% of a car's sound quality. You can have the best speakers in the world, but if they're poorly installed, they won't work to their full potential. My advice to you is since you're short on cash, save your money and for now and work on imaging and installing the components in the best way possible. For example, maybe your tweeters are in the A-pillars a foot from your ear. Try moving them lower, also consider having custom kick panels made to improve the soundstage. For the rears, you could do as Glasswolf said and add an 8 ohm, 25 watt resistor. Try disconnecting the rear speakers temporarily and see if the sound cleans up, perhaps the amp is straining to produce the 2 ohm load, creating higher distortion, poor damping, and overall worse SQ. Just a thought for now, you'll save money to improve the system, and when you do get the money up for better components, you'll already have done the installation work for the best imaging ahead of time, so your new components will sound that much better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
G,Day Guys
Should I go with the Infinity prefect 6.1's or the Focal Utopia 165w speakers to replace the Pioneers in the doors ? as both of these will fit.
see attached pic's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
What happened to the pic's/attachments I uploaded ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The smallest photo my camera will take is a 640 x 480 pic ! bugga

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3923
www.jasc.com
get paint shop pro, and resize the images yourself.
shift-S to resize the image, use percentage and fixed aspect ratio, and "smartsize" for method in the dialog box.
pretty simple to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us