Amp refresher course

Username: Ninemode

Atl, Ga

Post Number: 1
i have an amp thats rated at 1000w @ 2ohm mono, or 500w @ 2ohm stereo, dont know that much about car audio but i have 2 single 4ohm subs wired right would present a 2 ohm load to the amp right. a friend said the amp will see 1 ohm, am i missing something

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 252
James If you got 2 SVC 4ohm subs wired parallel then you have a 2ohm load on the amp. NOT a 1 ohm load. Only way it would be a 1ohm load is IF the subs are 4ohm DVC wired in parallel. Tell your friend to educate himself alittle more.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3649
your friend is correct actually, and Jay is mistaken.

the amp is 2 channels
it's 500 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms
1Kwatt x 1 @ 4 ohms *bridged*

you should have one sub on each channel, not bridged.
all you'll get is 250 watts per sub unless you buy two 2 ohm subs. there's no ideal way to wire two 4 ohm subs to a stereo amp for a 2 ohm load.

what you're missing, is that when an amp is put into bridged mode, it sees half of the actual load. This has to do with how the amp phase-inverts one of the two channels to produce the same amount of power into one channel at 4 ohms, as it would into two channels at 2 ohms each.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Glass if thats the case then I got my 2 Cerwins with 4ohm SVCs wired parallel to my JBL600.1 Does this mean I have a one ohm load too?? Because I used a Diagram and I've read that site you always post bcae1 and I should be having a 2ohm load right?? And the guy said the amp was 1000 watts @2ohms mono if he will get a 1 ohm load then so should I.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Oops sorry glass I just thought about that. He said STEREO which is 2 channels lol. Yep I was wrong sorry bout that.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3676
yeah. his is 2 channel. yours is mono, so no you're at 2 ohms.
that JBL is 1 ohm stable though.. just for reference sake. (same output as 2 ohms though)

Atl, Ga

Post Number: 2
one more thing, i had the same amp running a dual 4 ohm sub, was that presenting a 1ohm load as well?

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 150
no it would be a 2 ohm load

Atl, Ga

Post Number: 5
well why would it be different 1 dual 4ohm sub as opposed to 2 single 4ohm coils
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us