New at this, need help

Doug
I have a 600 watt 2 channel kenwood amp and
a 1200 watt American Bass 12'' sub. do i run it as a series and bridge it or not bridge it, or run it as something else? Im in class right now so i need an answer fast. Thanx

MEXXX
Wich american bass 12" sub.They make just about every variety of voice coil configurations,4 ohm,8 ohm,dual 4,dual 2,dual 6.

Doug
sorry, i meant the american pro 12" 4+4 ohm DVC

Just run 1 voice coil to each channel.If you parallel the voice coils and bridge the amp it might overheat or go into protection.

Doug
well, i have tried a couple times now and i know a few things that i am sure are hooked up right. The thing that isn't working for me is that the amp is not turning on. Wether it is the remote turn on or the power i don't know. My first mistake was to not get the directions from the kid i bought it from so where the hookups are, it looks like it goes (farthest to the left) power then ground then on the right the remote power connection. But if i touch the remote to the middle connection for the ground, my deck turns the att on then turns it off. So i dont know if this means that it is working or if it is not suppose to be connected to the right hook up or the middle (ground) hook up. Now for the power cable, it is sending power through, but it is a 10 or 12 gauge cable, i can't remember, and i dont know if it is big enough. I really dont want to go buy a 6 or 8 gauge cable for $50 and that not be the problem. Thanx for all the help that you have already given, but i hope that i gave u enough info to tell me what i am doing wrong.

Doug
o yea i forgot to tell you that i am running it in a series because i know for a fact that my amp will overheat because my friend that works at a car audio place here where i live hooked it up to the same speaker that he has there and it started to overheat within like 5 minutes.

Doug
untill i get a bigger and better system of course, then i will run it at full power. lol

MEXXX
Your amps power in connectors are as follows-left +12v,middle -12v ground,right +12v remote.Im sure you already know this,but do you know hooking the + and - up backwords even once can permanently damage the amp?And as far as hooking the sub up with the voice coils in series connected to a bridged amp,it is exactly the same as putting one coil to each channel.If you need a good wiring kit and your on a budget,they have 4 guage kits at wal-mart for 25 bucks.It comes with everything you need.

Doug
thnx for all your help mexxx

Doug
hey, thnx again for all your help, i have finally got it working.

Lidyo Ako
hey mexx i need your help

i recent installed my deck, amps, and subs and the protection light is always on... i reinstalled the blue wire and my amp worked... after 15 minutes i came back to my car to install my tweeters and my amp is on protection again.. i tried reinstalling the blue wire (turn on wire) but it still doesnt work... reply back thanks

MEXXX
Sounds like a bad ground or power wire.Check your ground wire first.Sometimes an amp can draw enough power from the ground of rca wires to act like its on.

Lidyo Ako
How do I check them? Do i need a voltemeter or a test light to check my wirings? and how do i check my speaker wires? how would i know if they are short circuit coz that's what i think the problem is... reply back mexx thanks

MEXXX
A multimeter would help,but for the power wires a simple test light can do the job.If you think the speakers are shorted,than thats probably the cause of your problem.Disconnect the speakers from the amp and check their impedance with a multimeter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us