Humming noise coming from my amp

Username: Bman

Baltimore, Maryland

Post Number: 4
I just recently got an amplifier installed in my car, nothing fancy just a Jensen jxp680, i wasnt looking for high quality just something to give my music a little kick, anyway since it was installed i have noticed a slight humming or buzzing sound when the volume is low or during a real quiet song, i can live with it, its nothing major, i was just wondering if this is normal or if it is a problem with the amp or the installation or something

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3597
could be the gains are turned up too high
could be a bad ground
cound be the signal lines were run parallel to the power lines and you're getting EMI in your RCA lines
could just be a cheap amp.
hard to tell which, but I'd check each option and see if it stops.
it could also be a bad ground at the head unit causing a ground loop

Baltimore, Maryland

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the fast reply, ill go through and check each of those out

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 335
I bet its coming from the RCA cables. They can pick up things like that.

Username: Toneloc

Post Number: 10
I'm with patrick. I had a bad rca cable one time and that little humming noise your talking about was coming from my amp too. And a noise would pick up when i'd push the gas, but im not sure what that is.

Baltimore, Maryland

Post Number: 6
Ive noticed that it only makes that noise when the engine is running, if i shut off the engine and just play the radio it goes away, not sure what that means though

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 183
I think it is a bad ground. Make sure you have sanded down the spot where the ground is to bare metal and then make sure it is good and tight. If the problem still occurs then start with all the signs that glass posted above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us