KICKER KX600.4 CHANNEL AMP AND 8 SPEAKERS

Username: Chasing_shadows

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 1
OK peeps, Im new to the multichannel amp thing and i have 8 speakers i want to power off this amp. No subs will be present in this system. What i want is to have the amp at 2ohms. I have 2 5x7 bostons and 2 pioneer 6x9s for the rear. For up front i have a total of 4 speakers. Will this amp run them all? All the speakers are midrange and highs. Thats it. Does anyone have any wiring suggestions or diagrams that can help me with this?

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 2
Found this diagram and thought it was helpfull. Does some one know if i can carry this out without using subs. All my speakers are rated at 4ohms. I would really appreciate some imput from some of the forum members. Thanks Guys
www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Bronze Member
Username: Toneloc

Post Number: 16
this diagram i believe will work great with your situattion. I do know that that amp is very powerful so make sure your speakers can handle that kind of power. I have a kx400.1 and it pushes my twelve with no problem, these amps are very powerful.

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 5
I dont have any experience with kicker. This is my first from kicker. I have found an alternate diagram that will put my stuff at 2 ohms. Have some bostons, seperates that im going to try at 2 ohms. I think they can take it. They have built in crossovers though.

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 8
After 16 hours of sun, heat, sweat, insects and cursing my stereo is complete. Its loud and clear. My box for the rear encompases 2 6x9s and 2 5x7 bostons. I thought i would never finish. Managed to fit all this stuff in my 93 mr2. I havent figured out where to mount my amp because its so long. For now its behind the passanger seat. I havent put the cover on the amp yet because it wont fit! Im considering moving it under the hood but i want easy access to the gain controls from inside the car. Ive got a testimony to give on bostons out of all this. While i was mercilessly drilling into my door metal I slipped and plunged the phillips head bit into my lovley boston componet set spearker. The speaker twisted up like piece of tissute. After reversing the drill my speaker sprung back into place. No tears present. Had to use some rubber cement to glue the surrounding speaker down! It worked like a charm and still sounds unbelievible. Thes bostons are probably 10 years old! Im glad its over with! It was worth the investment in time. I would like to thank the board for providing the knowlege base to make it possible. Thank You. Mark Howard

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3955
the load only drops with speakers in parallel when then are the same kind of speaker producing the same frequencies. remember the reason teh impedance drops is that both speakers are working in sync with each other.

you don't need access to gains on the amp once they're set properly.
gains aren't meant as a volume control. they match the input stage of the amp to the line voltage.

you can mount that amp in the front storage area, or behind the engine under that rear wing.
wiring is a pain but it looks nice if it's done right.

Bronze Member

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 11
So if the speakers are 4ohms each with two diff sizes such as 1 5x7 and 1 6x9 in parralell they are not at 2 ohms at the amp? I know the frequencies are set the same at the amp side. Are you reffering to frequencies the coils handle in the speakers themselves? Ill consider under the hood. Just when i thought i was done. lol

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3967
"So if the speakers are 4ohms each with two diff sizes such as 1 5x7 and 1 6x9 in parralell they are not at 2 ohms at the amp?"
not evenly, no. they'll only drop the load at the amp when both are producing the same frequencies at the same instant, chich will be an uneven overlapping to say the least, just due to the different response curves of the two speaker sizes.

being that you have two fairly different speakers together, but at the same frequency ranges.. it's difficult to say when the load will and won't drop.
it'll vary constantly.
the cause is the reactance of the speakers, as well as factors dealing with the amplifier's damping and such. no really simple explanation, but suffice to say unless both speakers are identical, things won't be ideal.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3968
by the way that's not a bad thing per se.. it just means don't assume the power output to each speaker as a given.
It's not likely to cause problems though, in and of itself.
I've run as many as 14 speakers on a two channel amp, properly crossed over for each set of speakers.. it's jut a matter of knowing how to set up the passive filters when you load down an amp that much.

Bronze Member

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 12
So im safe with the setup as it is? Or do i need to rewire my speakers? Thanks, Mark

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 56
well from what I've gathered, you have pairs of each set of speakers. So, wire each pair of speakers to 1 channel. This way, each speaker pair, being the same, should take each channel down to 2 ohms...should.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Glass...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3975
you're fine the way it is.

Bronze Member

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 13
So instead of running one 5x7 and one 6x9 to one channel I need to run the two 6x9 to one channel and 2 5x7 to the other channel to get the two ohm load thats desired.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 63
Hey man, if Glass says you're fine, you're probably (99.9%) fine.

What I gathered from Glass' earlier post was that having different sized speakers on each channel wouldn't level each channel to 2ohms. Maybe I gathered wrong--I don't know.

Bronze Member

Poplarville, Ms Usa

Post Number: 14
No thats what hes saying and I understand. I just hate to wire the 5x7s together on the right channel and 2 6x9s on the left. Its not like im overpowering the amp. I dont think im below 2 ohms. I think the amp can handle it without worries. Im just glad its done for the present. I was looking for good clean power and ive found it with the help of the peeps on the board. Again I apreciate all the help ive recieved from the board members. Thank you all! mark
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us