Time for my audio upgrade.

Username: Callandor2k

Post Number: 1
A few weeks ago my amplifier let out the magic blue smoke. So now I am gonna just upgrade my whole stereo system. I have got everything picked out that I want but am not sure on wire size for the amps.

I will be upgrading from a single amp to dual amps. Currently I have 4ga wire ran for the single amp. So I know I will most likely have to upgrade that as well.

What I plan on using is 2 Kenwood KAC-8104D amps pushing 1 Kenwood KFC-W3012 per amp.

or....

2 Kenwood KAC-8104D amps pushing 1 Kenwood KFC-W3012VDC per amp.

I have not quite made up my mind on which speakers I am going to use yet. But I know I will be running those amps for sure.

So my question is....

Should I upgrade to 2ga or go all out and get 1/0ga.

Also another question....

Will a 1.2 Farad capacitor be sufficient for this setup. Or should I split each amp to it's own capacitor? I have ran several single amp setups but never a multi amp setup.

Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10729
ok those amps are not very powerful so chances are your 4 ga wire should suffice. It all depends on how long your run of power wire is. if it is under 12-14 ft it should be just fine with both those amps. if I were you I would stay away from the caps and spend more money on your amps and subs.

Post Number: 2
I been looking around a little further on things. I just tested the Alpine sub that was attached the the Alpine amp that blew and it still works and ohms out good. So I think I will just buy another SWR-1222D to match it and upgrade the amp to the Kenwood KAC-9104D. And wire the subs into a parallel/series setup for a 2ohm load So I can max out that amp at 900w rms. Effectively running both subs at 450w rms each. Theoretically of course. Since each sub is rated at 500w rms I will be giving them enough power and come out cheaper in the long run.

And as far as the caps go, I already have a 1.2 farad cap. So I don't need to spend any extra on that.

But since the the amp states it has a 55A current consumption will the 4ga wire still be ok. Every where I read states a different rating from 60 - 95 amps.

And as far as length it's in a 2005 Cavalier from the hood to the trunk. Not sure what the length is but I would say 12-14ft total I think.

I may just replace all the wire anyway just to make sure it's all good.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 222
I'd say go ahead and replace the wire with 0 guage. If you plan to run 2 amps, get a distribution block and from there you can run 4 guage out to your amps.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 225
0 gauge sell https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/617400.html

Post Number: 7
Ok I have decided to stay away from Kenwood entirely.

Now I need help deciding on which amp to get. I am going to run 2 Alpine SWR-1222D TypeR or 2 Alpine SWR 1242D TypeR subs. My amp choices are....

MTX XThunder X1000D
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14783_MTX+Audio+XThunder+X1000D.html

Alpine MRP-M1000
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12017_Alpine+MRP-M1000.html

MB Quart DSC 1000.1
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13492_MB+Quart+DSC+1000.1.html

I will be running 1/0 gauge wire for power supply and ground and 8 gauge wire for the sub hookup.

I know Alpine amps are of great quality and have heard that the other 2 are great as well. Anyone have any opinions on the other two to either guide me towards or away from them.

I am kind of on a price crunch since I will need to be upgrading my 105 amp alternator to a 225 - 250 amp. I like the price better on the MTX and even more so on the MB Quart. But not sure if the quality of the MB Quart is as good as the MTX or Alpine.

Also what main line fuse would you all recommend using? 125 Amp fuse?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 264
If all you are running is 1000 rms your stock alt should be ok. If you wanted to help it out a little do the big 3, that wont be too expensive. The type R subs are pretty good subs, I would recommend the Alpine amp. Alpine amps are efficient, plus you'll have matching brands. Be sure to have a nice custom enclosure for the subs. You could make one yourself or have one of the guys on the forum build you one. Also you're not going to need 8 guage wire to run from the amp to the subs, I doubt it would even fit into the woofer hookups.

Post Number: 8
I don't care much about matching brands. After all my head unit is JVC and so are my main speakers. And 8 gauge wire will fit into the wire jacks on the subs.

If I don't need 8 gauge wire for the subs what size should I run?

Why wouldn't I need to upgrade my alternator to a higher amperage? The Alpine recommends a 100 amp fuse in the main power wire. And the way I take it it will pull 60+ amps from my charging system leaving 40amps or less for the rest of my car. It's in a 2005 Cavalier btw.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 269
You wouldn't notice much benefit from an over sized speaker wire unless you were really pushing some major power. You are correct in the amperage being left for your car being a little low. If you have the money to get you a new alt, by all means go for it. Your stock electrical is supplying roughly 1260 watts so using 1000 leaves you with 260. Definately do the big 3 with the new alt. As far as the 3 brand amps you listed I'd still recommend the Alpine. If you wanted a good amp for a little cheaper price you could always do the AQ1200D. Very popular amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13420
"Ok I have decided to stay away from Kenwood entirely."

good idea concerning their amps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us