Is my Amp to powerful for my alternator?

Username: Demine0

Post Number: 1
Hey guys whats up?
I recently swapped out my old 520w Ultimate Amp and put in a brand new Sony 1200W Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier with Variable Low-Pass Crossover.
A few days later, 2 odd things started going on with my car. First, which might be a totaly unrelated issue, the fuse for my Dash and Radio Illumination blew.. That was ok, i replaced it and it works fine now... But just yesterday as i was driving I saw my head lights dim, my volt metor go down from 14 to around 7, and the battery light came on. Now I havn't brought the car in to get looked at yet but it sounds to me like the alternmator died. The alternator in the car is a CS130D 105 AMP Alternator. The type of car it is in right now is a 1996 Chevrolet S10 Blazer With 4.3 Liter Engine.

I still have the stock radio and speakers in the car, with the addition of the Duel 12" Bandpass Subwoofer and that Sony 1200W Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier that i mentioned above. That is the ONLY amp i have in the car.

Could this be the reasen why my alternator died? If so, is there any alternator i could order that i could put in the Blazer that can handle the extra wattage?

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member
Username: 88retta

Farmtown, Oh

Post Number: 56
There is always larger alternators made for cars, i think they should make somewhere around a 150 amp one. Or you could just get another batter, but you would have to wire that to your alternator. But the problems does seem to be your altornator. What size power wire do you have ?

Post Number: 2
Just to add onto my post the details on the amp can be found here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069302879573&skuId=6254867&type=prod uct

and the details on the Subs can be found here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069299397134&skuId=6221064&productCa tegoryId=cat03081&type=product

Post Number: 3
the wire going from my amp to the battery? Or the battery terminals? If the terminals, the gadge is the standard gadge of a 1996 chevy blazer. You would need to look it up, i *THINK* it might be an 8 gadge. The power for the amp though is a 10 gadge.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3532
alternator or battery could be damaged.
any auto zone or advance or pep boys can test both for free and tell you.
if you replace the alternator, look at one that has a higher output.
your added burden on the charging system is more than likely what caused the initial failure.

Post Number: 4
im more then posative that its the alternator. Can i get a 150amp alt for a chevy blazer?

Post Number: 5
or, maybe.. could i go with a lower gadge battery terminal cables?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3542
well, you'll want larger cables for both battery and alternator anyway if you upgrade to a high output alt.
those cables have to be able to handle that added heat and current.. both pos and ground.

That Blazer probably uses a denso alternator casing, so yeah you can go up to at least 150-165A.. much more, like 300A if you go with a custom case and mounting brackets. (not as hard as it sounds, just expensive for the alternator.)

Post Number: 6
im looking into a 150 alt. Then im just going to get thicker terms, and later down the road i'll get a Optima battery.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us