Proton 222

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 218
Anybody remember an amp from back in the day called the Proton 222? My dad said this was an awesome amp for pushing front speakers with. He still has it but I don't wanna take a risk in screwing something up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 593
Man, I'm getting old, lol, yeah I remember that one. Nice amp from the late 80's. Not a lot of power, that 222 stands for 22W RMS x2. That was a conservative rating, but power didn't come as cheap those days, solid little amp, though. It'd be good to push some tweeters I guess. Great sound quality, just not exactly the power of amps of today.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3565
similar to the Orion 222SX.
it's a class AB amp. well made.
goot to drive a pair of front speakers in a moderate system if you're after SQ as opposed to SPL.
It's got more headroom and a far better power supply than a head unit will so you'll get much better sound from an amp even at 22 watts.
Jon's got a point though. Back in the late 80s or early 90s, an 80w x 2 @ 4 ohm amp was $560 for a good one, and 250w x 2 @ 4 ohms.. $1250.
things weren't as cheap as they are now..

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
Wow. Hey thanks for the input. I found an old crutchfield the other day from '91 and was looking at all of the old car stereo stuff. Head units wern't cheap at all especialy if you wanted a cd player. It was around $600 for a nice one and it had very little power. Amazing how far car audio has came in 13 years. I even found the old Kicker subs that I remember the High School kids having when I was just a little kid. They didn't cost to much. Practically the same as the Comp line today.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 596
You could always use it as a rear fill amp as well, it'd be great for fronts too. I remember those, although vaguely, they had great sound quality. Power is so much cheaper now, electronics are much cheaper, but amp quality from the 80's was just as good as now, no worse. Actually in the 80's, although it was expensive, there weren't nearly as many flea market cheap brands, there were more respectable companies than not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
I don't plan on using the amp because I don't want to fry it or have anything go wrong with it. I'm using all Kicker products in my car because I've always wanted an all Kicker system. Yea my Dad paid a pretty penny for that amp back in the day. Got it at Car Stereo One.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 600
Haha. Tell him he has good taste. I'd store the amp and keep it dry. You never know, it may be worth a LOT one of these days.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Yea he bought that amp back i think in the mid to late '80's. in the mid '90's he took it back to Car Stereo One (the same shop he bought it from) to thave them install it in another car. The guys there were like holy sh*t you still have that thing. They said it was a hot seller when it was made. Yea I told my Dad he should just save it and keep it dry because you never do know. It could be worth something someday.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us