Amplified input?

Username: Csocean

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to amplify my iPod... but it's only got a headphone output - no line out. What's my best option?

I'd like to have a couple of 6x9's, or 4 door speakers. I would like to have it straight from the iPod, via an amp, to the speakers. Would I be better off getting a cheap head unit with an aux input and using an amp with that? How is the quality of a cheap head unit ($50) through an amp?

Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 83
Odd as it may seem, the headphone output will feed an amp just fine. Both signals (headphone out and RCA out) are 0.5w so the only real difference is the physical plug.

First, yes...I think you would be better off with a headunit in the loop but if you get a cheapo head unit then you'll get cheapo sound. You'd be better off spending your $50 on a used Alpine or Clarion head unit on eBay than a new Kraco at Kmart. This gives you more flexibility (fade, balance, tone control, etc) but if you just want to listen to your MP3's..

Setup your amp and speakers like you would for any regular system. When it comes to the point that you have RCA cables which need a head unit to plug into, go to Radio Shack and get a phono plug to RCA adapter like this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F003%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=274%2D893 Just make sure that it fits in your Ipod and that it is stereo instead of mono. If you are going to do a 4-channel amp, you'll need a couple of Y-connectors too.

You won't have a switched power lead so get a toggle switch to turn the amp(s) on/off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us