Blown voice coil ?

Eligh
Unregistered guest
How do you know if you have blown your voice coils. I have 12 inch DVC subs. They used to sound real nice and loud. Now they dont sound half as good. I mean they still work ok but its just not the same sound I had. When I hook them up to the voltmeter the reading fluctuates.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 213
Do the woofers sound scratchy and distorted at low volume and high volume?

Eligh
Unregistered guest
No not scratchy and distorted. The bass used to sound full but now it just sounds hollow. Do you think its maybe just a matter of tuning?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 214
Yea it could be. Have you changed your eq setting around? Or messed with the bass boost or crossover setting?

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 296
I dont think its that, you would be able to really for sure tell if the coil was snapped. I mean the sub would be very scatchy and rought. I blew on of my coils and the sub froze up, it didnt even move. I think there is something not hooked up the same or a eq setting.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 553
How are they wired? And what amp are they pushed off of? What is the impedance of the coils?

Bronze Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 97
Check the goice coils one by one with a VOM. I'm betting that one (or more) of them opened up....

Eligh
Unregistered guest
jonathan, the subs are hooked up in parallel I believe and they are pushed by a 2 channel polk momo amp brideged to mono at 4ohms. Subs are 8ohm DVC.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 554
If the coils are in parallel and you're running bridged on 8+8 ohm DVC, with two you're putting a 2 ohm load on a bridged channel. Doesn't sound right, seems like the amp would go into protection. Double check that, if it doesn't solve the problem, make sure the wiring is right and, like said above, push on the sub's cone and see if you hear a scratchy sound. Also check individual coils like Michael said, not just the final load.

Bronze Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 98
Probably 9 times in 10 you can identify an open VC by just pushing down on the cone and listening for that horrible scratch sound. If you don't find anything out of the norm like this, check each coil with an ohm meter.

When the coil 'opens' up, it usually comes loose and rubs against the internals of the motor structure...that's your scratch sound. Sometimes, however, the coil can stay 'tight' but still be open. There are various coatings, wraps and the like that are sometimes applied over the final VC assy and this can hold the coil together even with an open circuit.

Use the meter, be certain.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us