I need some help ASAP!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: 2000fordranger

La

Post Number: 91
ok, ive come to this site many of times for good advice and you havent let me down. Ive got an AudioQue1200d powering 2 12" RE SE subs in a ported box. Now i had it installed today by these guys in town that are "professionals" dont get me wrong they did a good job....just the wiring of the amplifier and the power SUKS......its not where its exposed to be....it sounds like instead of 1200 watts going to them its like constantly 300 and then on some songs it hits harder like it jumped to 400.....if that....something is wrong....first thing ive noticed is that that wiring from the battery to the amp is 8 ga. im guessing thats part of the problem? second is that they said that the only way to get "decent" bass out of it was when they wired everything to 1 ohm....help me PLEASE!.....my subs are 4 ohm and the amp said its capable of being 4/2/1 ohm as a single unit and then further states " Daisy Chain connection makes it fully stable down to 2 ohm to double the powers of its 1 ohm. I don't know if this helps. Guys can you tell me what needs to be done? like when the wires comes out of the sub does the 2 negs need to connect? basically how i need to get the right ohms and wiring correct.....thanks for your patience guys, im new to this completely and ive been learning new stuff everyday. thanks alot again.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3014
you definitely need 4ga. power/ground for that amp. thats probably why they have it wired to a higher impendance. when u get 4ga. wire it down to 1ohm.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 92
could that really be all there is? lol thanks......i figured thats what the problem was when i read the instructions and noticed it. thanks alot ill get back to you when i find out how it does. one thing i did notice though, when my subs hit the hardest at the stage their at right now my headlights started to dim. Is there a way to fix that?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10881
An 8 gauge wire for a 1200w amp... how f**king retarded can people be...

I would go back and demand a refund from that "shop", seriously.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 122
^^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3015
worry about the dimming problem after you take care of this one.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 93
well, they put 4 gauge, but its still not where its exposed to be. Theres a guy on youtube that had 2 RE SE powered by a AQ1200d and his roof is flexing. I do not get it. They still have 12 gauge going from the amp to the subs but i can put some 8 gauge if thats what i need to do. I do not get it.....i really do not.....it's wired down to 1 ohm still......it puts out decent bass but only on hard bass hitting songs.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3064
Check your gain sound like they miss a thing or two. Sorry to say but those guys are not Pro's using 8 gauge.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1915
yeh, have 4 gauge going into that amp

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 135
meter your power and see what voltage you are at wile bumping, then report back.

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1111
how far is he away from Canaan, Mark, Nick?

maybe they could help in person?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 834
If ur close to NO or slidell I could help. I live in bay saint louis.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 94
ok, will do. I live in Shreveport. I believe i have a tester at my dad's shop. where do i need to put the prongs? that is what you are talking about right? at the back of the amp where it goes to the subs? I know they dont seem like pro's but they have a competition van they built and it has 4 12's in it and it was running 170+ db......ive seen it.....they were running it on an OLD amp....like a 70 watt amp or some crap....they let me hold it.....it weighed probably 3 or 4 times heavier than any amp ive held....it was stout. Keep in mind they van was like from the 70's or 80's. The guy seems like he knows what he's doing but hell idk....I know that you guys have been pointing out a hell of alot more stuff to do that helps thats been stumpin him so w/e.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 137
on the pos and neg of the of the amps power and see what voltage you are getting low voltage means the amp hast to work harder to make less power.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 95
well i just put bass i love you on my ipod went out to my truck put my setting to hip hop and on volume 12 it was insane....my parents in my house were watching tv with it blaring and they couldnt understand it because of the bass.....now the thing is at that point every light on my car was dimming. im assuming the guys turned my amp to max on everything because they werent getting loud bass out of it. so now ive got to find the settings and adjust them down....but then it wont be that loud when i play regular drive around music......what do i do?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 141
turn the bass eq all the way down turn gain all the way down, then set the head unit to 3/4th vol then turn amp up tell it dosent sound right then turn it back an 8th of a turn, if you need more bass do same thing with bass eq. try that. some one correct me if i am wrong.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21727

quote:

I know they dont seem like pro's but they have a competition van they built and it has 4 12's in it and it was running 170+ db......ive seen it.....they were running it on an OLD amp....like a 70 watt amp or some crap....they let me hold it.....it weighed probably 3 or 4 times heavier than any amp ive held....it was stout. Keep in mind they van was like from the 70's or 80's.

I'm having a hard time digesting this one lol.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 142
^^^

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1116
make sure the bass and sub is set to 0 on the HU and loud off.

make sure the bass boost is OFF or ALL THE WAY DOWN! on the amp.

SSF is set to box tuning or hair below, LPF set to 66-88, Phase 0

you can set the gain by DMM or hear...... if by ear turn your gain to 0, turn you val on the HU up to 3/4 of the way or till it start sounding distorted, the turn up the gain to right before it distorts, then turn the gain back just a hair.

now remember what the val on the HU when you set it and don't turn it up to that or past it and you should be good,

and make sure your subs are wired to 1ohm. and you may need bigger power wire if its dimming your lights, run 1/0 and use a Distribution Block then run 6"-1' 4ga to the amp. so the same to your ground and for a great ground to down to your frame of your truck

everything should be good after that!

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1117
and what box you using?

pics of it?

is it custom made for the SEs?

or prefab?

ported if so the tuning and size? or is it sealed?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 841
70 watts and 170db no

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21731
An obvious typo. Or .....something.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 96
about the old amp, he said 70 watt but the actual amp said 600 watts....NOW, the subs he has in the van are Cadence? and he has 2 Cadence amps in it right now too or some crap.......listen im tired of talking about these guys to tell you the truth....once i told them what to do they did it so im not going to pay them to install anything else. I believe i can do everything now.....everybody says i need to buy a capacitor though. BUT in another thread i thought yall told me not too. Im going to print this stuff out and tomorrow when im with my cousin we're going to pull the box and mess with the amp. I appreciate the info and i will try to get ahold of a camera tomorrow so i can take pics.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1118
you don't need a capacitor nor a batt your only on 1200rms no need you that! just need the right size of wire! and make sure that all of the stuff is set right gain,SSF etc

and you never want to use a capacitor! they just want to make more money off of you!

only time you need to think of a batt is 1500 anything more then that you will need a HO alt saying your going up to 2000+ rms.

if i remember right you have a 02 ford ranger or close and if it has a 4.0 V6 i have a 250 MM HO alt if you ever need one.

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 97
thats perfect, mines a 2000 but it is the 4.0 V6. that's what i wanted/needed to know. everybodies thing is capacitors around here.....your headlights dim slap a capacitor on it......not enough power slap a capacitor......etc. how much can i get that alternator off you Quentin? If i replace the alternator that will give me how much more watts and everything?

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1120
if you get my alt you can run up to 2500 with out needing an ex batt

id love to sell it and get money........ but you don't need it for this setup.

you just need bigger wire 4ga or 1/0...

but if you really want it i'd say $275 + shipping and it well give you a lot oh head room when you upgread later if you want and even if you get it and install it you still need to run bigger wire

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 98
alright, ill have to get back to you later on when im ready to run more stuff 8D

whats this about 4 ga or 0 ga? Because i had 4 gauge installed and thats whats dimming right now. Right now im going to see what happens tomorrow when i get to adjust my amp settings and everything ill touch base and let yall know how it goes.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1122
oh idk you put 4ga in i thought was only 8.

well how big of a fuse you got in there and is it hook right to the pos of you batt?

and it may need a better ground?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4196
It sounds like your lights are dimming more because of you upgrading to 4 ga from 8 ga.. You did the right thing by upgrading the wire though. You amp is now able to draw more current because the smaller dia. wire is not restricting it..

Quentin.. I think you have the wire thing backwards.. The smaller wire would not make your lights dim more.. If he is running that amp on a stock alt and regular battery, then you will have some dimming... especially at idle..

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1125
yeah your right lol its been a long night.

best thing you could try to do is getting a better batt up front and maybe in the back...

or

just get the ho alt and do the big 3 for a fast upgrade. your volts won't drop and no more dimming

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1126
just get a DMM on your batt and see what it drops to first and well start from there

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 99
Here are some pictures of my setup right now. I had the subs, well they had the subs facing forward toward the front of my car and on top of my amp. I didnt like having that much weight sitting on it so me and my dad built some legs to balance it on top of it and we positioned it where the subs are facing toward the roof. It gave me alot more room. Now, I took pictures of everything I could and I did what yall told me on how to "tune" it.....They had my gain set all the way high and I really dont know what all the other settings that had it on because I reset everything I did it myself. When I put my bass on 0 though it turned it completely off so I had to put it on 1. When I had the bass booster on 0 i still had bass but not that much so I moved it about a 1/8 of a turn and got A LOT more out of it. I basically did everything by heresay so I did not know what SSF to put it on since it was all by ear and also did not know about LPF what 66-88 is at on the knob. I think it sounds pretty decent for what it is right now and I figured you guys can tell me whats my next step and what I can do next to get more out of it.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member

La

Post Number: 100
Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1137
is that a custom built box or a random shop box?

SSF is to be set at box tuning.

" I think it sounds pretty decent for what it is right now "

so i take it everything is good now

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 101
yes it is good right now.....ok this is a random shop box I think they just had laying around and said we'll just use that one....that's my guess on it.....I do not know what the box is tuned at.

I havent taken the measurements but I do know its not 1.5 cubes per sub, that I know.....id be surprised if its 1 cube after the sub is taken into consideration. I figured if I built my own box which I planned on doing from the get go it would get a heck of alot louder wouldnt it? I mean since this box is to small for the subs when theyre ported. I think that's all i've got. Would that be your guess though? I mean to get them to their full potential I need to build a correctly sized box.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1140
yeah best bet would to be make a box made for them.

if you don't feel like making the box i'm sure Canaan could do it for ya

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 102
^^^^^^^^
NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!!

Now, given the loudness of my system at this moment im not "satisfied" ive come to the conclusion that what I want is just ear rattling bass......does that mean that id need ported? I mean I know that now i have ported but its a prefab box. Will sealed still put out that kinda bass?

Silver Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 133
Ported will create more SPL thus, will be louder and you will feel the air moving in the vehicle cabin.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1141
yeah box made right for your subs will make them shine!

Canaan has a Shop in La and makes amazing boxs from what he has posted and he prob could do like a platfrome over your amp then set the box on it.

you can even have it made so you can have your seat to the way you like so if your tall

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 190
wow this is exactly why i do everything myself. that shop is full of fail and it sucks that you ended up paying them, then re-doing just about everything they did.

and buying a custom box from someone like Canaan would definately be a good investment. Or even build your own if you can.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 106
hey guys, when i crank up my stereo and get my bass as high as i dare it to go with my given speakers and everything on my bass knob it has a blue light for power and also a red spot that blinks that says clipping when I turn it up......What does clipping mean? Im assuming it means its not getting a constant power but what do I know......Also i'm ready for you guys to tell me some kick A** component speakers + amp setup.......I just want to know what you guys recommend and i'll save up and get em....easy as that......well new box + big 3 eventually + components + a decent amp to power the comps....I still have the 4 channel kenwood amp that I could weakly power some comps for the time being. Yea just need to work some more and get some more money.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1148
clipping can be cuz your amp isn't getting enough power, like need a better batt up front or get an ho alt, or got the gain up way to high.

so much clipping will hurt the sub's. that's why we say NO BB.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 107
oh ok, yea well i turned the BB off....and i put my sub frequency on high.....guess ill turn my gain down a little altho its only about 3/4 of the way up.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 108
oh ok, yea well i turned the BB off....and i put my sub frequency on high.....guess ill turn my gain down a little altho its only about 3/4 of the way up.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 109
what i mentioned above is what i did a couple days ago.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 177
The gain knob is not a voluiom knob on the amp

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1149
well best way to set it be by dmm there go for like $5

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 110
What is a DMM? and where can I get one locally?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 178
The gain knob is not a voluiom knob on the amp, and dmm is a digital multi metter. Home depo lows radio shake ect

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 179
Dam posting from phone

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4209
clipping is a very common reason for speaker failure.
Upload

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1152
thanks Mark

i was going to post a pic like that but didn't have the time.

but yeah that why its bad to clip

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 111
I have a DMM then, where/how do I need to use it?

Im assuming you mean the gain is not like a volume nob as in theres only 1 spot it needs to be for each persons setup? like if I was running 1 sub it needs to be say 1/2 way and then for a certain brand it needs to be 5/8 and etc?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 180
http://gcs8.serveftp.net/free%20for%20all/Copy%20of%20Audio-Calc.xls

this will get you close to where you need to be but you also need to atke your fuse(s) add them to geather then times them by 12.8 - 14.4 then times that by .6 or .8. that will give you what your amp shuld put out befor it is gona start haveing issues. so like my amp, 300 * 12.8 = 3840 * .8 = 3072 watts. thats my low end. finly did the last part of my big 3 whent from 11.8-12.6 under max load to 13.8 - 14.1 try that.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7840
Ok...I just saw this thread.

What shop did you go to? Not wanting to down them, just wondering.

Let me guess, the external dimensions of that box are roughly 36w 16t 13d and built out of 5/8". If that's the same box I'm thinking about, it is best used at a door stop. We used to sell that box at the shop. People that were really cheap and wanted some subs ate them up like candy. I had alot of them come back w/ the back walls busted out, they are not even glued together :-(

That AQ1200 you have makes setting the gains VERY easy. You have a clip-light on the remote bass control. Use it as a visual indicator for clipping. Problem solved! :-)

I BEG YOU...get a new box. You will be stunned!
Hell, I did a build a few months ago w/ a ranger ext cab, kicker KX400.1 and RF T2 12"...did 144+ and pretty musical. You should be able to have a musical 145++ w/ that equipment.

I will be in Bossier for a USACi comp next weekend, Saturday 1/16.
If you want a box, I'll build you one and bring it to you at that show!
Call me at the shop
(318)343-8283

As for the 170dB+ vehicle. Is this the car?
Upload
If so, that is Danny Hays. One of the loudest vehicles on earth, 180+ w/ 3 DD 99Z18's and 6 dBDrive 7.5kw amps. Not tiny amps.
Other than that vehicle (to my knowledge) we have the loudest vehicle in Louisiana. Danny's is a Super-Mod vehicle, you can hardly hear it outside the car when it burps...its SICK!

Unless something new here in Louisiana has been built and not competed in USACi yet, I highly doubt that vehicle does a legitimate 170+. I just looked at the Louisiana records for this year. Danny has the Super-Mod and Portwars classes wrapped up, we have the Mod2-4k and SB5 classes.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 181
wonder what my Camry will do after i redo it.......

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 112
I went to Scots Audio & Trim on Benton Rd. I don't believe theyve entered this van in a competition in a long time. The brochure/page they showed me had a date of 1970 something or early 1980 something. It looks good, but I think its mainly for show now. They're a major custom bike shop. They've got some wicked bikes and I like Scot the guy who owns it. He's a nice guy and probably knows that it's a prefab box. I need to go check the dimensions of the box ill go check right now. Thanks alot Canaan. By the way what will a good box from you run me?

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 113
32" wide, 13" tall, 15 3/4" depth......Canaan, im talking to my dad about earning enough money to buy your box, but can me and you meet next Saturday when your in? Or maybe even my dad and both of us? I think ill want to do some competitions so i'd love for us to meet in person.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7841
Oh...ok. Guess they metered on the old AC mic. That 170 could actually be anywhere from 140-170 on the TL. I'd like to see that vehicle, old builds are always cool. I'm not familiar w/ the shop though.

As for a box. ~4.5cuft tuned to 35hz for your truck, I'll do $165 and bring it to ya in Bossier. That's carpeted w/ recessed baffle and wired w/ 12ga.

Does your truck have the 3rd door?

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1153
lol Canaan here to save the day finely =p

hope to see the new box soon

Gold Member

Post Number: 7842
I'll be at the show around 1pm. Its at Top Dollar Pawn in Bossier.

Look for the big white van, I'll have my Blue/Black TEAM SOUTH jersey on. Drop by and I'll see what I can do.

Just go ahead and give me the heads up on the box. I'll build it this weekend if you can get it. And yes, I'll post pics of the build :-)

I'll bring a drill and we can mount the subs up at the show.
You could compete THAT DAY.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1154
lol yeah miter that sh!t haha

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 114
no my truck does not have the third door. As we speak my parents are discussing what needs to be done around here and over the week. So right now its a strong maybe Canaan. I know you need to know by this weekend though so i'll give you a for sure answer tomorrow. My parents, mainly my mom, doesnt like my "boom boom" system so she isnt very happy but that doesnt really matter. Will you tune everything and set everything up for me? or at least help me do it? I know you said you'd bring a drill but I dont want you to feel obligated your already doing me a favor. Yep Canaan is saving the day!

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 115
Hey Canaan, my dad gave me enough stuff to keep me busy for a month but its a done deal so you can start building it. What kind of design are you going to go with though? will it be about the same height and depth just longer? taller? Im assuming you know that theres the hump in the middle a hump in the back along the wall too. Just let me know if you need to know anything else.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7844
Ok, I'll go ahead and build it this weekend. I need to work on the van anyways, so I'll cut your box while I'm building the back trim pieces for the van.

I just need a few measurements from you.

I see you have some little pieces under your current box to level it. How tall are they? I will build some feet to put under the box that height.

Also, I know 49" wide will fit back there, so that is likely how wide I will build it. Makes the build easier on me and works well in that truck for daily boxes...also meters pretty well for low/mid power setups. But, I need to know how tall the box can be and still stay under the side-window line. Measure from the tallest part of the hump in the back to the lowest point of your rear windows...I think the side rear windows are just a little lower than the back window. Get me that measurement.

This box will take up much more of your back seat area, but sound much better and look nice. Should end up being 49"wide x 14-16"deep x (however tall it can be and still be below the windows)

Since you are thinking about competing some, I'm thinking about possibly doing a 3-port box. That way you can plug a port for daily and tune lower, but for metering you can open them all up and tune higher for a better SPL#.

Get me those measurements, I'll run some #'s on the designs I have in mind. When I get the design ready, I'll post up a sketch-up 3D image.

I'll help you w/ setting the gains/filters at the show and get the box in there as much as I can. I'll bring a socket set too incase we have to pull your front seat out to get the box in....that is why I asked if you had the 3rd door. Dont worry about pulling the seat though, its only 4 bolts in your truck. I can usually pull that seat and get a box in in like 20mins. You just pull out the passenger side 60 from the 60/40 split.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7845
BTW, unless something comes up, I bet we can get ~147dB out of your truck.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 116
Thanks Canaan, im in a hurry to goto school right now im running late but when i get home ill get you your measurements. Thanks again.

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1158
glad to see everything is working out =) make sure you take a cam when you go we see what you hit

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 117
we can go 21 1/2 high, 4 1/2" is the length of the legs and I do not know how you plan on getting a 49" wide box back there maybe the one you worked on didnt have jump seats?? I measured and theres prolly 42" to work with no problem.....you could go higher and maybe get 45" but then that cuts into your heigth......I do not know what this means but im sure we have to come up with something else or maybe thats still enough idk....just let me know what you come up with.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7846
Ok, you have jump seats.
Gimme the measurement for between them.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 118
42"

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1159
i think it mite be 42" i can't remember what it was in my ranger

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 119
it is Quentin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7847
Alright, here you go Josh.

Upload
Upload

4.5cuft net, recessed subs, changeable tuning. Will have a 3" brace between the subs.

All ports open, ~45hz tuning and will meter a little higher. Plug 1 port, tunes to ~36hz for daily. That is 'on paper' tuning.

This will not be an all out SPL box, its just setup where you can get a little more SPL out of it when you get on the meter, but still plug a port and sound great on the lows.

As for the 147dB thing I said in an earlier post, I'm not sure on that one now. You may need a higher tuned box to get 147, we will see though. This one should do 144-145 though.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 120
That sounds fine Canaan, anything is better than what i have now and it's definately going to worth it for you to tune everything. How exactly do you know what your box is tuned too? I mean is there a tool? a calculation? Also will it be that big of a deal if I just leave all the ports open? or 1 open or 2 open? I mean does that make that big of a difference? Don't get me wrong I know that plugging them all would make it like a EXTREMELY huge box and swallow the subs and not make it sound good.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 123
Hey Canaan, hows the box coming along? Im just eager to see what this thing will do!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7855
I cut your box out today, will assemble it tomorrow.

As for designing the box and tuning, I use a combination of WinISD, BassBoxPro6, and pretty much what I have learned about the acoustics of vehicles.

If you leave all 3 ports open, it will tune in the mid 40hz range. The lows will suffer like this, but you will have a stranger peak for SPL. Plug 1 port, retunes in the mid 30hz range...better lows and still loud, but helps to smooth out the peak and give you flatter response. Plug 2 ports, tunes to the high 20hz range...wouldn't really recommend it though, output will suffer and you will see some port noise.

I would plug the center port for daily use. You may want to pick up a few old towels of some foam sheeting to plug it. Its 4.5"x6.5", so it will take a few towels to stuff in there and plug it.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 124
ive gotta question, i popped my hood and noticed that the ground on the battery is still like 12 ga or smaller wire and its also not in direct contact with my chassis....do you think that could be my problem with dimming head lights? also lately ive been smelling a little burning but when i smell it i turn it down and i only smell it sometimes....ive been looking for hot wires or anything with heat but i havent found anything, would it be possible that the 16 ga wiring i have to the subs is the reason?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7856
Yes, upgrading your factory grounds and alt + wire helps. I would add 4ga to all your factory connections.

Its call the 'Big-3'.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 125
Well, I went by home depot got some eye connectors for 4 ga wire and i upgraded my battery ground!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW, what a huge difference....well now i have the problem of clipping sooner......doesnt that mean that its even more of a reason its the 16 ga wire? I mean i readjusted my settings back and its clipping at volume 14 instead of 26 like it used to so i backed down my bass knob until it stopped clipping....and its still louder than it was just yea, I figured you can probably tell me what the problem is when you look at it....also I figured they might not have had a good ground when they grounded my amp. When you said 12 ga wire will be with the box did you just mean the internals is 12 ga? or that you had some 12 ga wire to use to go to my amp? WHERES THE PICS!!!! haha, im looking forward to Saturday, also since the port it on the bottom right and that its sitting basically backed up to the side of my truck that wont effect anything? like i wont be able to take the ports out would i? that also means that the ports are going to blocked right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7857
Man, your box is still just a pile of MDF sheets cut to size right now...lol.

Me and NickV cut it the other day, I was going to put it together since I only had 1 car coming today...but I ended up having 2 more walk-in's and we where short handed.

I'll build built it tomorrow for sure, got an order for a DD1510 box for an Chevy Ext. Cab that is coming Friday for the install. I'll build yours as along side that one.

I'll mess around w/ your HU and amp settings at the show. Also check over the install/wiring. It's hard to trouble shoot a system without being there looking at it.

Yes the ports will be close to your wall, but the box is designed with that in mind. The ports are not removable, the plugs you put in them (foam/towels) will be.

Silver Member

La

Post Number: 126
I must have mis typed what i meant, i know the ports wont be removeable but i meant the towels will be hard to be i would think being so close to the wall....im sure it will be fine though, and its no biggie Canaan take your time....i know you'll do a good job and its not like i can get it any faster lol. Ive called myself looking it over and the only thing that looked funny was on my amp the wires, one was wired in a short "U" from hooking a pos-pos or a neg-neg or something, i didnt look to see where the wires were placed because i didnt have my box out far enough to really see. Anyways you'll see everything Saturday and can be my troubleshooter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us